Retro-Computing <--> Total Commander 16-Bit

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

(john)

Retro-Computing <--> Total Commander 16-Bit

Post by *(john) »

I got the big idea about turning my computer backwards and configuring it as best I can with one of the more modern DOS, WFW 3.11, IE and so forth.

It wasn't a minute or more before I couldn't stand it and had to get Total Commander on the machine so I could use windows..

Once I got TC installed and began to carry on foraging for drivers, work-arounds and so forth for a obvious 'Wintel' machine the subtle differences made themselves known -- mostly Win 3.x Vs. Win 9x stuff.

ANYHOW, AWK! 8.3 filenames are all I have and I am baffled as to why 'comments' aren't supported in the 16-bit version?!

I realize in Win9x+ with LFNs, comments are probably moot to many of you.. It's almost backwards in a way to feature files.bbs & descript.ion support in TC32 and not TC16.

Kind of bummed I'm not seeing all my NDOS/4DOS description in TC..

Aside from that, it's really pathetic that I got so much enjoyment seeing the familiar TC layout in WFW.

Tell you what though, it's amazing what a FAST (and usable) web browser machine WFW,IE/OPERA and a cablemodem makes. Nice to be able to stuff the whole damn thing into a RAMDISK off the measly 20M partition it's stored on!

Well, I hope comment support can possibly be worked into 16-Bit Total Commander if it's going to remain an active part of the project.

Aside from that, NODS to you Christain, great implementation for a PITA to use version of Windows!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I haven't added most newer features to the 16-bit version when there were too many problems. For example, I would have to rewrite the handling of comments for Win16 because Win16 has a 64k limit on memory blocks. TC currently holds a comment file in a single block, so it would be limited to 64k comment files - this would be unacceptable.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
(john)

Post by *(john) »

Ah, well I figured the feature was lacking because of something technical.

Perhaps something you'll address in the future?

Since I've been using the 16-bit version a few more things I want to mention, FAQ items to add. ;)

- 'Run only 1 instance..' doesn't work (Calmira provides a work-around for this however..)

- Moving (F6) directories doesn't work (no error or info msg either)

I guess the Win9x/NT related options are in the settings panels for using the 16-bit version on 32-bit systems? (LFN,RECYCLE BIN..)

Let me know if you prefer I e-mail stuff I find with the 16-bit version. I've not yet got my email going. Trying to decide on Outlook Express, Netscape or some other email client for DOS/WIN31.