ISO plugin update (work-in-progress)

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DeXT

ISO plugin update (work-in-progress)

Post by *DeXT »

Hi there. I reported this to the German forum some days ago, in the following thread.

I'm working on an update of the ISO plugin that now supports reading of BIN, IMG (CloneCD) and NRG (Nero) images, without the need to convert them to ISO first.

I also added text searching support and reading by content support (so you can use it through Ctrl+PgDn without the need to associate it with every extension).

I plan to add support for Mode2/Form2 content reading (that is, X/S/VCD) so you can extract your movie files directly from the image, without the need to mount them or record to a CD.

Once it's finished the modified sources will be released. Currently there's a public alpha available here: iso_bin.zip

I also released a modified img (disk image) plugin that can coexist with the former, with some limitations; read the original post for more info.

Hope you like it.

DeXT
ben hub

Post by *ben hub »

Hi DeXT,

I do think your plugin will have a great success :D

but pleaaase move your topic on the english forum !

I'm not german speaking (nor you), and it seems that German people can read english. so they won't be hurt :wink:
Benoît
# 4081
DeXT

Post by *DeXT »

@ben hub: Thanks for your kind words. About moving the topic, this is why I started a new thread here ;)

There's a new ISO plugin release (alpha3). This one adds support for >4GB images, which allows reading of DVD ISO images. Currently only standard DVD ISO images with "Bridge" format are supported, leave a note in case you need some special format support, but I think these are rare.

Note that CDXA (X/S/VCD) support is not in yet...

Get the new release here: iso_bin.zip (source code here)

Hope you like it...

DeXT
JoeyHH

Post by *JoeyHH »

Very much appreciated your work ,i follow you *g*
Greetings JoeyHH
Teal'c

Post by *Teal'c »

ben hub wrote: I'm not german speaking (nor you), and it seems that German people can read english. so they won't be hurt :wink:
German People can read english, but writing is not so good :wink:
Greetz Teal'c
squirrel

Post by *squirrel »

I agree with you Teal`c
and thanks Dext for your great plugin,it works fine for my pourposes
Azatoth

Post by *Azatoth »

Great work, DeXT !

Would it be possible to implement into the ISO-Plugin support for UDF File Structure ?
This is very usefull for reading XBOX ISO Files.
That Plugin would render almost all XBOX Tools unneccessary.
DeXT

Post by *DeXT »

According to the specs found on xbox-linux.com, XBox does not use UDF but a propietary filesystem, which is totally different from it. Althought it can also read UDF DVDs, every UDF image I've seen so far has a "Bridge" ISO filesystem on it, so the plain ISO plugin would be enough for that. But AFAIK only homebrew images contain UDF (as an example, Linux for XBox), and these are already readable (tested).

So adding XBox DVD FS support would imply almost writting a new plugin from the scratch, and not to forget the legal issues, as this format is probably patented by M$. Adding support for this propietary format would put both the plugin and TC in legal risk IMHO (its main usefulness would be ripping game files from an image), so currently I don't see it worthwile.

Of course I'd be glad of hearing some argument about the (legal) usage of such a plugin.
DeXT

Post by *DeXT »

A new release is here!

I finally added Mode2/Form2 reading support. This allows copying a DAT/MPG file directly from a VCD/SVCD/XCD image to the hard disk. Currently the plugin emulates the Windows behaviour (that is, it adds a RIFF-CDXA header) so it can be properly loaded using the DirectShow filters.

I could have chosen to extract the contents (that is, making a DAT->MPG conversion) but this would imply a file name change and just adds complexity. Anyways it works like a charm as it is now.

I also added Mode2/2336 format support since the last release (this format is seen on most VCD images made with Nero).

So here you have it (1.2rc1): iso_bin.zip (with sources).

It desperately needs a big cleanup before a final release. But at least it now features full functionality. Tests are welcomed.

DeXT
JoeyHH

Post by *JoeyHH »

Hi DeXT

unfortunately the old img.wcx does not work anymore on ctrl-pgdwn with the new version.
Greetings JoeyHH
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's working really well! A small suggestion: Since you convert the .dat file to a working image, you may want to show it with a different extension too, e.g. with MPG or AVI extension. I don't know which one is the right one, but both seem to work when playing the file with F3...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DeXT

Post by *DeXT »

JoeyHH wrote:Hi DeXT

unfortunately the old img.wcx does not work anymore on ctrl-pgdwn with the new version
Strange, it works for me... remember not to associate the IMG extension with any of them.
ghisler(Author) wrote:It's working really well! A small suggestion: Since you convert the .dat file to a working image, you may want to show it with a different extension too, e.g. with MPG or AVI extension. I don't know which one is the right one, but both seem to work when playing the file with F3...
Thanks for your kind words! Well, it can be done, but there are a number of problems, such as what name to use? MPG? (XCDs can contain AVI, OGM etc). Not to name that these are not real MPG files as they have RIFF/CDXA format internally. And so I should then strip the RIFF/CDXA stuff, and this has an additional problem (need to remove zero data on VCD's pre/postgap...). And the user should be aware that the file name will be changed while extracting the file, and ensure there's no *.mpg file on the destination folder (it will be overwritten)... you see, too much harsh IMHO.

So the problem is, the lister can't show DAT files because it doesn't recognize the extension... perhaps it would be more convenient (and easier, too) to add support for DAT extension in the lister plugin?
Last edited by DeXT on 2003-04-13, 10:25 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
JoeyHH

Post by *JoeyHH »

DeXT

you were right ,sorry ,i had to choose a dummy-extension,it was lost somehow ,now it works as you said :-)
Greetings JoeyHH
Sam York

Post by *Sam York »

One of the greatest packer plug-in!

I have some troubles recently with some old cds but somehow I managed to recover few of them by making some images of them ...

I have noticed some related discussions in this forum section about adding the option to create .nrg, .iso, .vcd files ... Can you add this option to your plug-in?
oblomov

Re: ISO plugin update (work-in-progress)

Post by *oblomov »

DeXT wrote:Hi there. I reported this to the German forum some days ago, in the following thread.

I'm working on an update of the ISO plugin that now supports reading of BIN, IMG (CloneCD) and NRG (Nero) images, without the need to convert them to ISO first.

I also added text searching support and reading by content support (so you can use it through Ctrl+PgDn without the need to associate it with every extension).

I plan to add support for Mode2/Form2 content reading (that is, X/S/VCD) so you can extract your movie files directly from the image, without the need to mount them or record to a CD.

Once it's finished the modified sources will be released. Currently there's a public alpha available here: iso_bin.zip

I also released a modified img (disk image) plugin that can coexist with the former, with some limitations; read the original post for more info.
A nice feature to have would be the possibility to create/modify ISO images, allowing the user to add/delete/move files to/from/in the ISO, create directories and all that. (I think the IMG plugin allows that? At least one of the IMG plugins ...) If your plugins are open source, you can probably get some appropriate code from the linux tools ...