Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Hacker

Show two drive button bars status not remembered

Post by *Hacker »

Configuration - Options - Layout.
[X] Show drive buttons
.... [X] Show two drive button bars
.... [X] Flat icons

Now if you uncheck Show drive buttons, Show two drive button bars gets unchecked, too. Expected - it stays checked, just like Flat icons.

TIA
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

I confirm and agree.
Clo

Stingy …

Post by *Clo »

2Hacker

:) Hello Roman !

• I disagree, sorry. If you untick [ ] Show drive buttons, this display is totally disabled,
so there is no reason to keep the other boxes ticked…
- They could be simply greyed, though. I mean : To store which state was set when the main option was enabled :

[ ] Show drive buttons

[X] Show two drive button bars
[X] Flat icons
- I guess this is to save items, because radio-buttons might be more appropriate here, like :
---------------------------
Show drive buttons :
None
o One group (always at left)
o Two groups (one at each side)
[X] Flat icons
---------------------------
• A better and more flexible layout is shown ON THIS IMAGE

- Personally, I change this “on the spot” from an additional menu…
In TC 7.0 I get nicks, the other nicks remain when it's totally disabled, that's not logical, the entries might be greyed
and the nick¦s too to get a similar unambiguous display…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2Clo

Hm, if I understood right, you and Hacker actually mean the same thing:

Currently, if you uncheck 'show drive buttons', the 'attached' buttons 'show two bars' and 'flat icons' behave different. The 'flat icons' button always remembers its current state (which is the way it should be IMO), but the 'show two bars'-button always gets unchecked after disabling the 'show drive buttons' item. IMO both buttons should remember their current state when disabling the drive bar.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Clo,
I do not understand, either, sorry. You say:
there is no reason to keep the other boxes ticked
but two sentences later you say:
To store which state was set when the main option was enabled
:?:

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

It seems to me that Clo thinks that "Show drive buttons" and "Show two drive button bars" is saved in the same variable with either 0=None, 1=One group (always at left) and 2=Two groups (one at each side) - as options.

It is not! "Show drive buttons" is saved in DriveBar1 and "Show two drive button bars" is saved in DriveBar2. So there is no need for radio buttons, just the need to NOT (re)set the value of DriveBar2 to 0 when DriveBar1 is set to 0.

I fully support Hacker's suggestion - that's the only logical an consistant way to do it.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Clo

Options for nothing ?

Post by *Clo »

2Hacker

:) Again…

• I meant : not shown as active, the current behaviour removes the nicks
instead of turn out them (and the strings) as greyed.
- To keep the boxes ticked while the function is disabled doesn't make sense, but one needs a reminder, that's all.

• And some users could like a single bar always @ right… This is impossible.

- Did you see the mock-up ?

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on 2007-04-23, 19:03 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

petermad wrote:I fully support Hacker's suggestion - that's the only logical an consistant way to do it.
Support, too.
Remembering the status of "Flat icons" seems to be no problem, why should "Show two drive button bars" be different...
Advantage of remembering is having the same state as before, when you later decide to reactivate the first option ("Show drive buttons").
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Clo
To keep the boxes ticked while the function is disabled doesn't make sense
It makes perfect sense!

I have for example normally two drive button bars enabled. If i temporarily disables the drive buttons with cm_VisDriveButtons (on a button in the button bar for example) - then I have to run BOTH cm_VisDriveButtons AND cm_VisTwoDriveButtons to reenable the two button bars as I had them before - I cannot just use the same button to go back to the previous state - most annoying.

With the current implementation I cannot use cm_VisDriveButtons to toggle the drive buttons on and off to my liking.

And some users could like a single bar always @ right… This is impossible.
That's a whole other discussion - isn't it.
Last edited by petermad on 2007-04-23, 18:53 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Clo

Ambiguous GUI

Post by *Clo »

2petermad

:) Hello Peter !

• I don't care a lot (playing the majority of medium users'voice) how and where the states of the drive-bars are saved…

• This GUI layout is ambiguous, and it shouldn't using radio buttons
and a greyed “Flat buttons” option when “None” is chosen.
- It doesn't take more room… Please, see the image.

• Simply keeping the box ticked as Hacker requests doesn't dispel that ambiguity.
- It was the same in old versions (I checked in the 6.03a), the boxes got unticked and the previous states were not saved
when re-enabling the drive-bar¦s. AFAIK, nobody said it's a bug…

:mrgreen: FR
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on 2007-04-26, 00:04 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Clo

OK from my menu

Post by *Clo »

2petermad

:) Again…
With the current implementation I cannot use cm_VisDriveButtons to toggle the drive buttons on and off to my liking.
I CAN from my extra-menu, and the states are saved, the nicks remain (even closing¦restarting TC)
- But nicks are not appropriate here really, and IMHO, these entries might be greyed
as long as the main command is disabled.

:mrgreen: FR
Claude
Clo
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

It doesn't take more room… Please, see the image.
I takes one more line!
It was the same in old versions (I checked in the 6.03a), the boxes got unticked and the previous states were not saved when re-enabling the drive-bar¦s. AFAIK, nobody said it's a bug…
Just because something was like that in an old version, doesn't mean that it can't be corrected in the new version of TC, IMHO. And I don't say it is a bug (I know Hacker does) - I would rather call it a high degree inconsistency and a nuisance.
License #524 (1994)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I CAN from my extra-menu, and the states are saved, the nicks remain (even closing¦restarting TC)
You are right - I stand corrected :oops:

But then - if you open the Config -> Layout dialog, then you will actually see that the option "Show two drive button bars" actually is BOTH ticked and greyed out - so why this difference between using cm_VisDriveButtons and using the tick box in the dialog - it simply isn't consistant!
License #524 (1994)
Clo

Same room !

Post by *Clo »

2petermad

:) No, Peter, sorry ! It takes EXACTLY THE SAME ROOM !

• It's even possible to set a few wider space between the r-buttons (translations… ;) )

• On the pic, you can see the next option box, it's unchanged at its original location like noticed on. Please, compare…

• Currently, this stands between the bug and the misfeature… So, let's invent a new word : Misbug, or Bugfeature ? :lol:

:mrgreen: FR
Claude
Clo (dinner now !)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Clo,
I meant : not shown as active, the current behaviour removes the nicks
instead of turn out them (and the strings) as greyed.
I don't understand - what are nicks? You mean ticks / checkmarks? Here one checkmark is removed (as written in my first post) and both are greyed out.
To keep the boxes ticked while the function is disabled doesn't make sense
Of course it does. Why should I turn one option off and then have to turn two options on?
Did you see the mock-up ?
Yes, I did.

Roman