[bug]? Selecting files for compare by content in W2K/XPSP2

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

[bug]? Selecting files for compare by content in W2K/XPSP2

Post by *StickyNomad »

Maybe I just sit on my own brain, but I am wondering a bit about the following behaviour of TC7rc3 (may apply to older versions, too):

When I run TC under Win2K and want to compare two files, I can just move the cursor over the according files in both panels and can select 'compare by content'. I don't have to mark the two files explicitely.

But when running TC under XPSP2, I have to mark at least the file in the inactive panel before comparing. If I don't do that, TC doesn't find the file in the inactive panel.

So I am wondering if I oversee sth, or if the behaviour really is OS-dependent. Can anyone confirm this?
Clo

Mark always

Post by *Clo »

2StickyNomad

:) Good evening,

• Hm… IIRC, I'd always to mark at least one file, even under Win 95 ¦ 98 SE…

- I can't say with 2K, I never used it…

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

NOT confirmed here with XP Home SP2.
After navigating the cursor to one of the files I can choose 'compare by content' from the menu without having to mark any file before, it is then compared to the file with the same name on the other panel.

Maybe your two files are named differently? If the names are different you have to mark, to tell TC what to compare.
But that's the same under W2k here (TC7rc3).

[Edit]
Have you tried this with a new/fresh INI?
[/Edit]
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

Are the filenames identical or different?
Are the files inside archives?

TC seems to show no error when one file is already extracted in temp and needs to be re-extracted (over-written) for the compare operation.

Other than that when the names are the same I don't *mark* anything, I just *highlight* the file in any of the panels. XPSP2
TC for Linux please!
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

Erm, cough cough. :oops:

You are right, dudes. I meanwhile had a closer look for myself and I actually was sitting on my brain. I had a little closer look now, and my previous observations were quite some rubbish.

I had observed this under W2k with two folders containing different versions of a web project. I moved the cursor over two differently named files, but when I pressed compare, TC compared the 'hovered' file in the active panel with the similar named file in the target directory, not with the one that was hovered there. I just noticed the compare window was opened with two files and stopped looking :?

But that's intentional I assume, and totally OK for me. Like you said, the inactive file has to be marked always (at least when it doesn't have the same name than the source file).

So after all just a classical PEBKAC. File can be closed, and sorry for my superfluous report. I'll go and get me some better brain.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, that's intentional. From the help:
The two files are chosen as follows:

- If more than one file is selected, the two first will be compared
- If only one file is selected, it will be compared with the first selected file in the target window
- If only one file is selected, and no file is selected in the target window, it will be compared with a file in the other window, having the same name (if it exists)
- If no file is selected, the file under the cursor is compared with a file in the other window, having the same name
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2ghisler(Author)

Thanks for clarification. I made my wrong observations during an extremely busy work day, so I didn't look close enough before posting my report.