TC crashes when pressing key and mouse

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Well, TC cannot prevent you from doing every possible unreasonable thing. If you press the reset button, your PC also reboots, and TC cannot prevent that.
These are different things! If I press Reset, I do want to restart the computer. But if I call the context menu twice, I hardly expect that it will be the synonim for Alt+F4. :)
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
BiggyBoy

Post by *BiggyBoy »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Well, TC cannot prevent you from doing every possible unreasonable thing. If you press the reset button, your PC also reboots, and TC cannot prevent that. It's simply not a good idea to try to invoke the context menu twice at the same time, so who knows what can happen in this case. I can try to add code to catch this special condition, but I doubt that anyone would make such an operation except for trying to provoke an error...
I don't quite get why you got annoyed about a report like this but I guess that is your prerogative.
-I found that this 'crash' (not really a normal crash TC just vanishes) does not occur in other programs.
-In TC the context menu appears as soon as you press the context button on the keyboard; if you then right click TC sometimes vanishes.
-In other programs (MS programs, Firefox, Notepad++, etc) ,the context menu appears only after you let go (onKeyUp event) of the context button on the keyboard, so it is not possible to right click with a context menu is open with the context button pressed. (not in one go at least)

So maybe it might be an easy 'fix' to ensure TC behaves like other programs in this respect, and also preventing this bug at the same time.

Another observation
-The crash only seems to occur when the right-click triggers selection of an item (i use 'right click = select' option). any time I right click with the context key down that does not result in selection of an item it does not crash.
-The surefire way to get it to happen is: Press context button on keyboard. Right click on any item (and hold mouse down). Let go of keyboard key. wait a second. This does not have to happen fast. Sometimes the crash needs a while to settle in.

Sorry if this post sounds presumptuous from a 'newbie' but I've been using TC for years now (since v3) and I just love it so much that I just could not help myself butting in this time.
ND

Post by *ND »

ghisler(Author) wrote:It's simply not a good idea to try to invoke the context menu twice at the same time...
How about launching the context menu on WinKey Up rather than WinKey Down? That would avoid the double activation I think.
aNDreas Bolotă
The truth always carries the ambiguity of the words used to express it. (Frank Herbert, God Emperor of Dune)
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

ghisler(Author) wrote:It's simply not a good idea to try to invoke the context menu twice at the same time,
You are absolutely right! It is very stupid idea and no one do it intentionally, just by mistake.

But I cannot understand how it is possible to do this in TC?
Normally Windows itself cares about such stupid mistakes. When popup menu is displayed Windows sets mouse capture to whole screen to prevent going mouse clicks outside of menu area to the application.
Apparently TC does something (maybe sets capture himself?) that brakes this defence and takes place event that shouldn't happen - TC got mouse clicks during context menu processing.
Dark-Star

Post by *Dark-Star »

ND wrote:How about launching the context menu on WinKey Up rather than WinKey Down? That would avoid the double activation I think.
Good idea.

support++

That's the way it works in Explorer too, for example.
#40099 50-user license
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

TC 7 RC 4 doesn't crash here anymore when trying to pressing the right mouse button and the context menu key.
PeaceMaker

Post by *PeaceMaker »

Lefteous wrote:TC 7 RC 4 doesn't crash here anymore when trying to pressing the right mouse button and the context menu key.
Confirmed!!!
[face=tahoma]LICENSE NUMBER: #101897 Single user license (since: 6th February 2004)
CURRENT VERSION: Total Commander 9.00 beta 12 (released: 31st August 2016)
[/face]
corny

Post by *corny »

Can confirm it doesn't crash anymore, but there is some unwanted behaviour.

When leaving the keyboard button pressed and clicking the right mouse key, the next file is selected and a sound is played.

Mouse selection is set as right mouse button. See the screenshots:

Context menu opened with keyboard, key still pressed:

http://vanbemmel.tweakdsl.nl/ScreenShot004.png

Context menu still opened, but after pressing mouse the next file is selected:
http://vanbemmel.tweakdsl.nl/ScreenShot005.png

Keyboard button still shows the context menu at onKeyDown event, imho the onKeyUp event would really solve the problem as suggested before.
Regards,
Cornelis
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

When leaving the keyboard button pressed and clicking the right mouse key, the next file is selected and a sound is played.
Confirmed.
PeaceMaker

Post by *PeaceMaker »

Confirmed too...
[face=tahoma]LICENSE NUMBER: #101897 Single user license (since: 6th February 2004)
CURRENT VERSION: Total Commander 9.00 beta 12 (released: 31st August 2016)
[/face]
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is normal and will not be changed.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
This is normal and will not be changed.
For what reason the cursor is moved to the next file?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I meant the beep with "normal". I have no idea why it goes to the next file, but I don't see it as such a big problem in an error condition...
corny

Post by *corny »

I meant the beep with "normal". I have no idea why it goes to the next file, but I don't see it as such a big problem in an error condition...
But why do you raise an error then? There is nothing erroneous, except that the user does something one doesn't really except.

And did you consider to change showing the context menu on the keyup event?
Regards,
Cornelis
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, almost all commands in TC are invoked on the key down event, not the key up event. It would be strange if the context menu would be an exception.