installer still using the old icon!

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, StickyNomad.

I really appreciate your work and the T.C.7 icons set(s) which you created - hey, I even use them! - :D

Yet, I would not give the installer icon a very high priority, because how often do you see the T.C. installer icon???

Karl
PeaceMaker

Post by *PeaceMaker »

2StickyNomad

Hi. What about the new TC installer icon??? RC4 has been released last Friday and the icon hasn't been updated so far!!!
[face=tahoma]LICENSE NUMBER: #101897 Single user license (since: 6th February 2004)
CURRENT VERSION: Total Commander 9.00 beta 12 (released: 31st August 2016)
[/face]
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, we are still working on a new icon. I'm not yet sure whether I will replace it at all.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
PeaceMaker

Post by *PeaceMaker »

Why not? The last icon project (http://www.stickynomad.de/tcstuff/tcminstall_16_6b.gif) by StickyNomad was very interesting...
[face=tahoma]LICENSE NUMBER: #101897 Single user license (since: 6th February 2004)
[/face]
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2PeaceMaker

Please be a little patient. As I said already, I have extremely much work to do currently, therefore I can't do this icon that fast. Also it is quite some effort for this icon to draw it recognizeable and clear, especially in 16² format.

I am still refining and optimizing the layout you mentioned, but I'm still not completely satisfied with it. So stay tuned, I think I can release a new version quite soon.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

PeaceMaker wrote:Why not? The last icon project (http://www.stickynomad.de/tcstuff/tcminstall_16_6b.gif) by StickyNomad was very interesting...
Not Everyone likes them... :D
Hoecker sie sind raus!
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

I did some further tries, but this box thing tends to be not very suitable. It still looks a bit weird with that perspextive box and the flat Disk. Also it is still very hard to recognize, and I couldn't find a better way to draw that yet. In the screenshot you can see the current state (versions a - c).

But while I was preparing my lunch, I had another idea, and tried to show a CD instead of the box, which also is a quite suitable metaphor IMO, and is easier to recognize (variant d in the screenshot). For a quick preview, I just added the CD symbol from the current drivebar. What do you think?

Screenshot

Btw, while working with that CD icon again, I think I will slightly redesign it to make it more obvious that it is an optical media, e.g. I'll try to add some reflections.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2StickyNomad
Although I'm not sure if the CD is a good indicator for an installer this icon looks much better and is easier to recognize than all other install icons designs you created.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2Lefteous
Thanks for your feedback. I too think a CD might not be the perfect metaphor, but at least the best one that came into my mind so far as a possible alternative to that nasty-difficult-to-visualize box.

But I'm still open for suggestions, if anyone has an idea.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2StickyNomad
I too think a CD might not be the perfect metaphor
I didn't write it's not good I'm just not sure.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2StickyNomad

Of the four options, I wote for "d" (the CD-disc)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2Lefteous
I didn't write it's not good I'm just not sure.
I didn't think you don't like it :)

I myself find this motif quite suitable, as TC is shipped on a CD. As I said there might be better metaphors, but so far I think a CD would be OK.

2petermad
:)
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

StickyNomad
Just a raw idea. Why do you try to draw the opened box? Why not a closed one? In my opinion, the meaning of the closed box fits better to the concept of the package: a box with TC inside it. The icon may not necessarily display the action performed by double-clicking, it may display just the meaning of the file itself.

The closed box can be larger than the opened one you drew before (because there will not be an opened cover above it), so it will be more recognizable in this case.

What about your current tries, I like the variant d). However, I'm not sure as well (floppy+CD looks a bit strange for those who is not familiar with the TC icon)...
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
PeaceMaker

Post by *PeaceMaker »

2StickyNomad

I think that 4-th icon ("d" with CD) is the best for now...
[/face]
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I just find it a bit funny to show a floppy together with a CD...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com