Split file

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Tekumze

Split file

Post by *Tekumze »

Current default is for 1.4MB floppy :P I'd put this to CD size at least.

Is there a possibility to add splitting in the background same as with copy? It'a kinda annoying you have to wait out the 8GB being split and copied somewhere else.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

I recommend you to use WinRAR for this. It can create multivolume archives in background with or without compression, and each volume can have different size!
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

WinRAR doesn't seem to support background processing at all. The background button just minimizes the current instance. If you want to pack more files you need to start another instance.
The same is true for TC.
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

Maybe I'm an old bugger, but I get always a bit annoyed, if people get annoyed, if they have to wait some time, dealing with huge files.
The longer the crossing train, the longer one has to wait. It's nature. I would say : don't annoy yourself, but make a cup of tea in the meantime, or walk the dog.

I really hope 1.4 MB will stay as a default (to be safe, I always reduce this size with some KB's), because I still use this option if I have to transport a file somewhat > 1.4 MB to my laptop, which isn't connected to the network.
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

Lefteous wrote:WinRAR doesn't seem to support background processing at all. The background button just minimizes the current instance.
Yes, but within TC you can do other things meanwhile.
Also you can start several instances of WinRAR (or other external packers) and send them to background (also TC's waiting for them, if started from TC).
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!