Adding SHA1 check sums in md5sum area

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Would you like this feature to be added ?

Yes
70%
No
10%
Don't care
20%

Total votes: 10

BrandC

Adding SHA1 check sums in md5sum area

Post by *BrandC »

Hi,
Firstly, I must say I can't function with out TC it's just hands down the best...

I would like to request the possibility that a extra option can be added for sha1 checksums. Why I ask is that mathematically (I must dig but I can supply the article if needed) it is shown that by manipulating the starting vector in the correct way, a file can be altered while the md5 sum stays the same, this isn’t possible with sha1, sha256, sha512 and so on….

The code for this checksum is freely available on the net and I hope it wouldn’t be that difficult to implement.

Another idée would be to add checksum creation on directories…

and lastly to be able to send it to the background….

again thx for the nice app.

Cecil
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

It would be really interesting to know if our beloved BKA could add their Bundestrojaner to a download transparently and keeping the check sum. ;-)
Just corrupting the download and keeping the check sum shows the mechanism is broken but has no practical use.
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

Lefteous wrote:Just corrupting the download and keeping the check sum shows the mechanism is broken but has no practical use.
Exactly. It is impossible to make any significant change this way.
BrandC

Post by *BrandC »

This maybe, but some people have a liking in md5 sums others in sh1 sums... Myself prefer both.

Seeing that its should only be a single function (do the sum of sha1 instead of md5) that need to be added and one tick box, I cant see the big problem in me asking. It can only be declined...

We copy a lot of information around our network and yes we do sometimes get corruption in the file. md5s has help us a lot to trace these problem we would just like sha1 also to feather.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Try the checksum plugin, please:
http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/checksum.html
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com