DirSizeCalc 2.22 (content plugin)

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

DirSizeCalc 2.22 (content plugin)

Post by *Lefteous »

Current version 2.22
A new version is ready for download. 2.22 fixes a problem with getting values from symbolic links.

The complete list of changes can be viewed online.

Plugin page: Download, description und documentation
totalcmd.net
Last edited by Lefteous on 2016-04-17, 09:51 UTC, edited 25 times in total.
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Slowness of TC with some content plugins

Post by *JohnFredC »

I use the DirSize plugin to display folder info in file panel columns: number of subfolders, number of files. I choose the "background" option for rendering the data into the file panel.

Naturally when I go to the root of a large drive with the DirSize columns displayed, TC slows while the folders and files are counted.

But TC doesn't just slow. It freezes until all folders have been "counted". If I have forgotten to turn off the DirSize columns, after navigating to the root of my larger drives (300+GB), TC can freeze for almost a minute while the plugin chugs away, counting.

Since folders in TC do not remember their custom column settings (I know the tabs do), and since I frequently forget to turn off the DirSize columns before navigating to the roots of large drives (silly me), I sit frustrated.

I have been testing Dopus alongside TC and notice that the very same columns in Dopus take the very same length of time to populate, but that Dopus is instantly responsive no matter what it is doing. I can continue to use Dopus during the counting activity.

Besides abandoning those columns altogether, or finding some means to remind myself every single time to turn them off before navigating to the root of a drive, or just rebooting TC (my current method), is there anything else I can do to "unfreeze" TC while the DirSize plugin is doing its thing?

[mod]Thread split from DirSizeCalc Content plugin (1.21 final and 2.00 BETA 6) at Lefteous' request.
The moderation is in the second post of this thread for the first post to remain editable.

Hacker (Moderator)[/mod]
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2JohnFredC
I guess you are referring to dirsizecalc, right?
Did you sort by one if the dirsizecalc fields?
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Lefteous wrote:2JohnFredC
I guess you are referring to dirsizecalc, right?
Did you sort by one if the dirsizecalc fields?
Hi Lefteous. Yes DirSizeCalc. Is that yours?

File panel typically sorted by name, ascending. Folders are grouped separately.

My impression is that TC does not run the content plugins in a separate thread. TC displays the hourglass cursor and even the main menu text disappears while the files and folders are counted, just as it does when TC is waiting on network shares.

Maybe there is a setting "Run content plugins in separate thread" that I have missed somehow?

TC7.0rc4, but the same behavior in previous versions.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

JohnFredC,
Root of my drive, 73 GB, TC is normally responsive during the whole calculation process.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Hmmm. Never has been with my system.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2JohnFredC
Is that yours?
Yes.
Folders are grouped separately.
What do you mean by that?
My impression is that TC does not run the content plugins in a separate thread.
It should run the plug-in a background thread mainly. The plug-in does almost nothing in the foreground. This works fine for me since years.
TC7.0rc4
Which plug-in version do you use?
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Which plug-in version do you use?
I was using 1.21, wasn't aware there was a later version. Downloaded 2.0 Beta and now TC is functional while the plugin is counting files.

This is great. So thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction!

Observations about 2.0:

1. Maybe just the message "Pending" or "Calc" or "Dir" would be more screen-space efficient than "Directory"... and "NA" (or some other symbol) would be better than "Not available" The columns look very cluttered when those values are showing/overlapping. Maybe those values could be in the language file for me to change?

2. Version 2.0 won't count folders for which only the System has rights (Such as "\System Volume Information"). Giving the Administrators Group permissions on such folders and signing in as an Administrator clears that up.

Thanks again.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2JohnFredC
This is great. So thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction!
I wasn't aware that the new version solves such problems but ok... :shock:
Anyway good to get some feedback on this version finally.
Maybe just the message "Pending" or "Calc" or "Dir" would be more screen-space efficient than "Directory"... and "NA" (or some other symbol) would be better than "Not available" The columns look very cluttered when those values are showing/overlapping. Maybe those values could be in the language file for me to change?
You could edit your DirSizeCalc.lng. This works only if an external TC language file is used.

Code: Select all

[eng]
Yes|No|Not available|Not followed=yes|no|n/a|n/f

0=<DIR>
1=<JNC>
2=<MNT>
Version 2.0 won't count folders for which only the System has rights (Such as "\System Volume Information"). Giving the Administrators Group permissions on such folders and signing in as an Administrator clears that up.
Well of course not. It's impossible to count a directory size for a directory which cannot be opened. :)
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Thanks for the tip about the language file.

Also, it appears the SuperColumn plugin has something to do with TC locking up during the counting. Rats!
Well of course not. It's impossible to count a directory size for a directory which cannot be opened.
I have another system on my network setup with TC7.0rc4 and DirSizeCalc 1.21. That combination counts files and folders in [System Volume Information] successfully, and without having to give permissions. Just tested it on several different drives, including local disks and network shares.

Here is an image comparing appearance and behavior of DirSizeCalc columns (viewing a third system via Network Neighborhood) between the two versions.
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

2JohnFredC
That combination counts files and folders in [System Volume Information] successfully, and without having to give permissions.
Maybe it's because you are using FAT32 on the other computer. On NTFS partitions nothing can enter 'System Volume Information' without having proper rights.
TC for Linux please!
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

The drive shown in that screen dump is NTFS.

Here is a screen dump of the same NTFS drive comparing Dopus 9.03 results and DirSizeCalc 2.0 results.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2JohnFredC
Also, it appears the SuperColumn plugin has something to do with TC locking up during the counting. Rats!
Well using such a mediator plug-in can of course cause trouble.

2JohnFredC
System Volume Information
This is a change in the new version. I forgot to add it to the version history. DirSizeCalc < 2 counted the size of all available files. If a subdirectory isn't traversable the calculation stopped and this value is displayed. In DirSizeCalc 2.0 BETA 2 the calculation also stops but reports "not available". A file size is now only displayed if the directory could be fully traversed.
Maybe I will change this behavior in the next beta. I could show the file size but display somehow that this is not the complete content. Something like this:
129.456 KiB (incomplete)
I'm open for suggestions.
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

2Lefteous

Just to be clear: I really appreciate this plugin and use it constantly. Thank you for it!

From my little experiments (see those screen dumps again), I am curious to know why DirSizeCalc 2.0 won't count in [Documents and Settings] or [Utility] and Dopus (and DirSizeCalc 1.21) will. Also, Dopus saw more files in [Document and Settings] than DSC 1.21 does. That computer was idle and the screenshots were taken only a few seconds apart.

For DirSizeCalc, I like the "incomplete" suggestion. Maybe a tilde in front of the value and an indicator of the reason for incompleteness:

Sharing violations (DSC encounters folder not shared by user):
u|~129.456 Kib

System permissions (DSC encounters folder that needs admin rights?):
s|~129.456 Kib

Disk error:
e|~129.456 Kib

or

Disk error:
!| ~129.456 Kib

etc.

Whatever indicators you use, they should be succinct so as not to clutter the column or be overlapped by the next column on the right.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2JohnFredC
From my little experiments (see those screen dumps again), I am curious to know why DirSizeCalc 2.0 won't count in [Documents and Settings] or [Utility] and Dopus (and DirSizeCalc 1.21) will.
I thought I already explained that :?
Also, Dopus saw more files in [Document and Settings] than DSC 1.21 does.
I don't think I can answer this question.
Maybe a tilde in front of the value and an indicator of the reason for incompleteness
I'm not sure if a tilde character is the right choice here. This will be most likely interpretated as approximately the correct value but this is absolutely not correct. There can be hundreds of files in the not available directories.
Whatever indicators you use, they should be succinct so as not to clutter the column or be overlapped by the next column on the right.
Mh custom columns don't even support overlapping :-)