[REQ] store custom columns configurations in files

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

icfu
Power Member
Power Member

[REQ] store custom columns configurations in files

Post by *icfu »

This request includes:
1. The ability to save a column configuration to a file, just like tabs configurations.
2. A new command OPENCOLUMNS as an equivalent to OPENTABS which takes a file as parameter.

The present implementation has downsides:
1. The commands to load them – cm_SrcCustomViewX – are dependant on its absolute position X. Changing the order of the stored configurations make buttons which load a specific configuration useless.
2. It's limited to 29 configurations. You can easily hit this limitation if you create duplicates which only differ in the sort order, thinking about multiple column sorting for example.

This request is meant as an enhancement, not as a replacement for the present implementation.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I posted a similiar idea a while ago:
http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/Uniquely_named_custom_column_configs_%28more_custom_column_configs%29
You can easily hit this limitation if you create duplicates which only differ in the sort order, thinking about multiple column sorting for example.
I don't understand what you mean here. The sort order isn't stored in a custom column configuration.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I don't understand what you mean here. The sort order isn't stored in a custom column configuration.
You are right, I confused that with tabs in which they are stored. The sort order should also be stored in custom column configs, at least optionally.

Your Wiki article and the proposal is great. What about creating an additional forum posting next time as a discussion thread? Chances that people find and read it are much higher this way.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Your Wiki article and the proposal is great.
Thanks I thought a lot about it to improve the current solution without losing compatibility.
What about creating an additional forum posting next time as a discussion thread? Chances that people find and read it are much higher this way.
I did - but it was another forum :-D
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Another forum? That sounds interesting... ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale