Is There an "Open With..." Command in TC?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JMac

Is There an "Open With..." Command in TC?

Post by *JMac »

Probably a dumb question, I know. But I have been using Total Commander for at least 5 years now (I'm guessing, since I only have email archives back to 2002 and it was before that when I started), and I still switch back and forth between TC and Windows Explorer because there are still some things that I either cannot do in TC -- or possibly it's just that I just don't know how to do them in TC.

For example, I often need to open a file in a different program than that which is associated with the file. In Windows Explorer I can right-click the file and then click on "Open With..." and then select the program I want to open the file with. Not change the association; just open it that time with that program.

In TC I only know to change the association of that file type to the desired program. Of course, then I have to remember to change it back when I am done.

Is there a better way to do this in TC?

BTW, there are a number of other such actions that I have never found a way to do in TC. I am still searching the forum for info on those, but if I don't see anything that helps I will post back with more such stupid questions!

Thanks all!
J-Mac
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Hold Shift while right-clicking.
BTW, there are a number of other such actions that I have never found a way to do in TC. I am still searching the forum for info on those, but if I don't see anything that helps I will post back with more such stupid questions!
You're always welcome to do so, and thanks for searching beforehand, but please remember to post each question (as long as it concerns a separate topic) into a new thread.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Clo

Another way…

Post by *Clo »

2JMac

:) Hello ! Welcome as a poster !

• You can also Drag&Drop the file to open on an icon of the button-bar, onto a programme able to open it,
and else than the one of the association…

• I work like this daily for a loooong while… :wink:

• Doing so, you aren't bound to use the local menu…

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

In TC I only know to change the association of that file type to the desired program. Of course, then I have to remember to change it back when I am done.

Also you can use the Alt-F3 configuration for this purpose.
And there is Choice Editor or http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/AutoHotkey:_Popup_menu_for_button_bar_or_F4
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
JMac

Post by *JMac »

@Hacker: Thanks. And of course - only one question per thread. :)

@Clo: Thank you. As far as your solution, I drag the file that I want to open to where? What is on the button bar that I need to use?

Oh, and actually I have posted here before but at one point my username was lost - database issue or something. I couldn't log in, and it said my username and email address didn't exist, though I had email replies to the posts I had made that showed my old username! Christian said he could not find my username in the forum DB, so I had to create another username. Weird, huh?

@SanskritFritz: I'll have to try Alt-F3; not sure what that one is. I'll take a look at Choice Editor also. Thank you!
J-Mac
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

[Alt]+F3

Post by *nsp »

Precision about Alt+F3 key combination :

How to :
Open the configuration panel
jump to Operation and select Edit/View
The first part is a roll of F3 S+F3 and A+F3 (if you are happy with it let it as it is )
Click on the Association button and ===> tada ... the association popup is there !
A) enter all the targeted extension you need in the small upper left drop down list box.

B) Enter the targeted applications you want to launch use the medium part , I encourage you to use the new type button !

C) Redo B as much as you need !

// A faster way is to directly edit wincmd.ini under Extensions Section
ex :
ini=C:\TOOLS\papas\pspad.exe ^.ini
cmd=C:\TOOLS\wscite\SciTE.exe ^.cmd
bat=C:\TOOLS\wscite\SciTE.exe ^.bat
java=C:\dev\jEdit\jedit.bat ^.java
exe=C:\TOOLS\bin\ResHacker.exe ^.exe
Clo

D&D---

Post by *Clo »

2JMac

:) Hello !

• Indeed I'm talking of the button-bar of TC ! Just an example as a video.

- It's shown for a text-file normally associated with Notepad.
In a bar, there is an icon for the Notepad2, a so good (Swiss) editor.
- Just drag the file on this icon, and it's opened.

- That is possible with the most file-types, as long as you have set buttons for them, no need to have a special programme, TC does this pretty well…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo

Note : Yes, a few part of the database has been lost a long while ago after the forum suffered an attack from hackers…
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials