[REQ] Ctrl+Shift+Enter to find previous match...

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

icfu
Power Member
Power Member

[REQ] Ctrl+Shift+Enter to find previous match...

Post by *icfu »

Last edited by icfu on 2007-06-11, 14:24 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This account is for sale
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

Support
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

What is wrong with the current Ctrl+up to go to the previous match?
Quick search If the dialog box with the directory tree is active, you can type the first letters of the desired directory. They are then shown in this field. The cursor is automatically positioned on the next directory starting with these letters. Supports wildcards * and ? just like in normal quick search. Press CTRL+ENTER or CTRL+Down to move the cursor to the next match, or CTRL+Up to go to the previous match.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2petermad

There's nothing wrong with that IMO, I use the Cursor keys myself. But it would be a consistent addition, because CTRL+ENTER (=next match) already worked in the DirTree long before CTRL+UP/DOWN was introduced in v7.

So it would be just an additional shortcut for this function, maybe some users that prefer to press CTRL+ENTER would like to have SHIFT as a modifier here to go to the previous match.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Everyone should be able to see that the implementation of Ctrl+Enter lacks its natural counterpart. I mean, what would you say if you couldn't switch tabs back with Ctrl+Shift+Tab? Or switch processes back with Alt+Shift+Tab? Or switch taskbar buttons back with Windows+Shift+Tab?

Or imagine if ghisler would have wisely chosen to only implement Ctrl+Down as an alternative to Ctrl+Enter instead? Wouldn't you ask – err, isn't there missing something?

My mother has always told me to not start something new if you haven't finished your last job, this is the case here. Anyway, besides that the Ctrl+Enter job is not finished and I have not the brain to understand why such an incomplete implementation has survived so long, the other reason is that I can press Ctrl+(Shift)+Enter without leaving my natural typing position.

When I want to execute a file, I type X, Ctrl+Enter, Ctrl+Enter, Oops, Ctrl+Shift+Enter, Enter. Ctrl+Up just doesn't fit here, it's cumbersome.

Icfu
This account is for sale
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Ctrl+Enter lacks its natural counterpart.
I see your point - Support.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar