Access violation crash when drag and dropping a file

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Laurent

Access violation crash when drag and dropping a file

Post by *Laurent »

Since I updated to version 7, totalcmd often crashes when I try to move a file from one side to the other. It seems to happen completely randomly. It can be with any file and from any folder. All I am doing is:

1) right-click a file on the left window and drag it to the right window
3) Then I get the error message below as soon as I release the right mouse button

Image: http://pros.orange.fr/freextras/divers/totalcmdcrash.png

Any idea what could be the problem? I couldn't find anything about this kind of bug on the forum so I assume it's not a known bug? (also it happens to me a lot)

It's a pity that a such a brilliant program that use to be so reliable become suddenly so instable with the new version :(
Clo

Perfect here

Post by *Clo »

2Laurent

:) Hello ! Bonjour,

• I work almost only by Drag & Drop for my copy¦move operations, and I have not any problem in TC 7.0xx

- Which OS are you using ?

- You might enable (if not done yet) the log file from Configuration >> Options (the opposite in French) >> Log file,
then report here a copy operation that crashes TC.

- At first glance (I'm not expert at this) it seems that the address of the error doesn't belong to the TC ones…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Laurent

Post by *Laurent »

Thanks Clo, I never noticed this log option. I'm going to give that a try and report back on the next crash :)
Clo

Documented---

Post by *Clo »

2Laurent

:) You could have a sight to the French (and English) Tutorial, these docs are up to date,
there are all new options¦features in TC 7.0 ;)

- Available for download as usual (see my signature below) and now also DIRECTLY ONLINE IN YOUR WEB BROWSER :D

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

2Laurent
The problem is most probably caused by a faulty shell extension. Search the forum for ShellExView and you'll find directions how to identify the problematic one.
TC for Linux please!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed TC now uses these so-called drag&drop handlers, but only when dragging with the RIGHT mouse button. They add their own menu entries to the DROP menu. So search for drag&drop handlers with ShellExView.

Btw, you can disable these drag&drop extensions in TC if you never use them:
wincmd.ini [Configuration]
DropExtensions=0
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Laurent

Post by *Laurent »

Ok I just got another crash:

Image: http://pros.orange.fr/freextras/divers/totalcmdcrash2.png

I don't know if it can help but it seems that the access violation is always at the same address.

The log file doesn't report any error :(
Btw, you can disable these drag&drop extensions in TC if you never use them:
wincmd.ini [Configuration]
DropExtensions=0
Yes I did this already (one of the first thing I did after installing totalcmd 7 :) ) however the crashes still happen.

I'm going to disable all the drag&drop handlers in ShellExView but basically it seems to me that it's more of a TC bug. No matter how poorly coded the drag&drop handlers are, I don't think TC should crash that way.

Laurent

edit: BTW, I only had one drag&drop handler active: WinRAR (C:\Program Files\WinRAR\rarext.dll) so I guess the issue comes from there.
Laurent

Post by *Laurent »

Hi,

The bug is still there as of version 7.01 :cry:

I would also like to confirm that the drag&drop handler that creates the crash is definitely WinRAR.

Hope the issue will be fixed in a further version.

Cheers,

Laurent
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

It makes no sense to "hope" as if WinRAR is the culprit, the fix has to be made by Eugene Roshal, not ghisler.
I am using WinRAR too and don't have any problems. Try a WinRAR uninstall/reinstall, or reinstall the extension – regsvr32 rarext.dll – or try the latest WinRAR version which is 3.70 Final.
No matter how poorly coded the drag&drop handlers are, I don't think TC should crash that way.
TC can only catch errors as long as it is in control. If some extension corrupts memory, it might have no chance to decide if it wants to crash or not...

Icfu
This account is for sale
Laurent

Post by *Laurent »

icfu wrote:It makes no sense to "hope" as if WinRAR is the culprit, the fix has to be made by Eugene Roshal, not ghisler.
Well I have no idea if it's a WinRAR bug or a TC bug. All I can say is that TC crashes:

- even though I added the command "DropExtensions=0" to the INI file
- and even though the drag&drop handler doesn't make Explorer to crash.

which makes me think that it might have something to do with TC.

Also it happens with all the versions of WinRAR I tried including the last one.

So as long as Christian doesn't say "it can't be fixed", I'll keep "hoping" ;)
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

even though I added the command "DropExtensions=0" to the INI file
Have you added it to the right wincmd.ini? See Help-About what wincmd.ini you have to adjust.
and even though the drag&drop handler doesn't make Explorer to crash.
This is expected. Most faulty extensions only crash in other file managers than Explorer because this is how they were designed.
So as long as Christian doesn't say "it can't be fixed", I'll keep "hoping"
Sure, feel free to hope for some magic fix. Good luck.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Laurent

Post by *Laurent »

icfu wrote:Have you added it to the right wincmd.ini? See Help-About what wincmd.ini you have to adjust.
Yes it's the right ini file. If I put the line in, the WinRAR menu is not visible when I drop a file although the error still happens occasionally. If I disable the handler altogether in Shellexview, I don't get the error anymore (however I need it enabled).

By the way I just noticed that I can click "Yes to continue" when the error occurs so I guess I can live with it for now.

Thanks for the help anyway.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes it's the right ini file. If I put the line in, the WinRAR menu is not visible when I drop a file although the error still happens occasionally. If I disable the handler altogether in Shellexview, I don't get the error anymore (however I need it enabled).
If the handler isn't loaded via DropExtensions=0, then it cannot be the problem! I guess that you are invoking the right click context menu by mistake, which then causes the crash via a bad shell extension...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com