synchronize dirs misses some directories

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jom

synchronize dirs misses some directories

Post by *jom »

In the Commands - synchronize dirs utility, the compare function fails to find directories which have special language characters in the directory name.

For example directories containing the German umlaut (ä ö ü) or Cyrillic characters (e.g. я ъ ж ...) are ignored.

This happens when these characters are not in the currently selected codepage (selected in control panel - regional settings - Language for non unicode programs).

This is a problem for people working in more than one language, because you can only select one codepage. So either cyrillic characters, or German characters can be made to be recognised properly, but not both at the same time.

This seems to be a problem specific to the synchronize dirs utility. In the normal 2 window commander display, the directories are displayed, and can be copied with F5.

A related problem is that special characters in filenames are replaced with the block character. Again this is only in the synchronize dirs utility - in the main commander windows the filenames are correctly represented,
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Confirm.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed directories with Unicode names are not supported in Total Commander - nowhere. In the normal file lists, you can access them only if they have an alternate DOS name. The Sync tool can't access them at all, because often the DOS name isn't the same in two locations for the same directory. Therefore it's better to ignore them than to use the DOS name.

Full Unicode support is planned for TC 7.5 or 8.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
jom

Post by *jom »

How about a warning, instead of ignoring the directories?

That way, if you synchronize your laptop with your desktop, you wont go on a trip and discover too late that there are several files missing.

The sync files utility is very useful if it syncs all your files, or tells you which ones it hasnt synced. It is less useful if it has given you the illusion of having synced all your files, and you find out later that it hasnt.

Anyway, I think TC is great product otherwise, and I look forward to the Unicode support.
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

jom wrote:For example directories containing the German umlaut (ä ö ü)
The above problem does not occur here (W2k SP4 + XP SP2). I'm not (knowingly) using Unicode.
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2StatusQuo
The above problem does not occur here (W2k SP4 + XP SP2). I'm not (knowingly) using Unicode.
That's because you are probably using the German charset.
This happens when these characters are not in the currently selected codepage (selected in control panel - regional settings - Language for non unicode programs).
If you choose another one you'll have the same issue.

Unicode allows to use all known chracters at once.
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

Lefteous wrote:That's because you are probably using the German charset.
Yes, I do.
Lefteous wrote:If you choose another one you'll have the same issue.
I see, thanks.
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!