External Harddrive copying bug

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ahmad

External Harddrive copying bug

Post by *ahmad »

I was transferring some documents from my local disk to my external harddrive (usb), and it was working fine at 22mb/s. However after a few minutes I noticed it dropped to 2300kb/s and stayed around there for a long time. I restarted the enclosure, disconnected/reconnected, same thing. Then I transfer with windows explorer and it goes really fast! Same files, some target location. I tried this a few times to make sure and yes it seems something is stuck. Also, my external hd in totalcommander makes unnecessary clicking noises that I don't hear when transferring in windows explorer.

I know this is fixed with a restart of the computer, but its possible some dll is doing unnecessary checks somewhere.

edit: I should mention I was trying with 6.53 and I downloaded 7.01 to try it out and its the same thing. Same problem.
If you don't use Total Commander you are not human.
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

2ahmad
The "compatibility mode" could help here, according to Very slow copies when using USB Flash drive.

You can also test other values for the used buffer sizes in the same place (Configuration / Options / Copy/Delete).
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!
ahmad

Post by *ahmad »

You know what, I never knew about this. Although I should inform you this is not a USB stick, but actually a real harddrive on a USB enclosure.

Thanks for the advice, that sounds like it might do it. I'll give it a shot when I try this again.

Ahmad
If you don't use Total Commander you are not human.
sas2000
Power Member
Power Member

Re: External Harddrive copying bug

Post by *sas2000 »

ahmad wrote:I was transferring some documents from my local disk to my external harddrive (usb), and it was working fine at 22mb/s. However after a few minutes I noticed it dropped to 2300kb/s and stayed around there for a long time.
I had a similar problem time ago, i did some tests (copying same group of directories several times with Tc & WindowsExplorer) and i realized that it was a hardware problem related to the usb external enclosure (hard disk was ok), i had to make many tests because problem didn't appear always.

I also checked data integrity, and i found corrupted data on some of the tests, regardless it was copied to external harddrive with Tc or explorer (checked with Md5).