enhancement request: enhance windows network support

English support forum

Moderators: Hacker, petermad, Stefan2, white

zeflash

enhancement request: enhance windows network support

Post by *zeflash »

Hi,

I work remotely, so I connect to my office's LAN using a VPN.
As it's really far away, I got pings ranging from 200 to 400ms.

Windows's networking doesn't like lag at all, hence browsing folders & such things in explorer is reaaaaally slow, because there must be a lot of exchanges back & forth.

Anyway, seems that TC does that better, probably by not refreshing / reasking info as often as explorer.

But still, on some occasions some weird things happen; for example when one pane1 I have a local folder, and on pane2 I browse a remote computer, the interface freezes quite often. If I'm navigating in my local folder it seems to keep asking for refreshes on the other pane, therefore making browsing my local folder really slow.

Same thing happens when copying files on background; the whole interface freezes regularly.

Is there a reason for that? probably info asked for the remote file list view? could that be prevented? once I have the list of folders / files on the remote computer, I don't see a reason to ask for information again if I don't do any actions on this view, right?
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Check out the Noreread entry in wincmd.ini:
Noreread=AB\ Do not reread these drives; \ stands for 'Network Neighborhood'
Just put this line into the wincmd.ini file under
[Configuration]
Noreread=ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ\

:lol:
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

2 zeflash

Try mapping the remote locations you access frequently. I get much faster response from TC while accessing mapped drives than by just browsing the corresponding locations manually. The latter includes focus and refreshing behavior. I guess it's rather a Windows behavior other than TC itself.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
zeflash

Post by *zeflash »

Ah thanks, it seems to help quite a bit - although I can still feel some "hickups" when browsing the pane that is not on the network.

Anyway, it's pretty much useable now, so I'm happy - problem considered solved!