Inconsistency in handling virtual zip folders

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Inconsistency in handling virtual zip folders

Post by *petermad »

There is an inconsistency in handling zip archives in virtual folders/trees.

To reproduce this first copy a few plugin zip archives with a valid pluginst.inf file inside to Windows' "My Documents" folder (%$PERSONAL%).

Then open 1 separate tree, 1 ordinary tree in the left panel and the virtual folder //My documents in the right panel, so that it looks like this:

http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/virtualzip.png

First try double clicking the zip "folders" in the right panel (1 in the screenshot) - all you get is a Critical Stop beep.

Secondly click on the zip "folders" in the separate tree (2 in the screenshot) - TC will ask you if you want to install the plugin, and if not it opens the zip archive in the right panel

Thirdly click on the zip "folders" in the tree in the left panel (3 in the screenshot) - TC will open the zip archive in the left panel WITHOUT asking if the plugin should be installed!

I know that these zip "folders" are more or less generated by Windows, but would it be possible that TC handled them the same way in all three of the cases mentioned above - and preferably as in case 2 with the separate tree because that reflects the way TC handles zip archives (with a pluginst.inf file).
Last edited by petermad on 2021-05-30, 18:31 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I'm sorry, TC doesn't support ZIP archives in virtual folders. I don't currently see how I could support them. Unfortunately there is no way to distinguish them from real folders, so I can't even hide them. :(
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I wonder why the zip files are displayed along with directories in the separate tree. This has been a problem in early alpha version sof TC 7. I have never seen it since then.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ghisler(Author)
I don't currently see how I could support them.
OK - any idea why there is this different behaviour in the 3 cases described?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar