Cannot drag&drop files to tgz

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Cannot drag&drop files to tgz

Post by *DrShark »

Adding works only when copy files to tar/gz from opposite panel. It's bug or by design?
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

I think this is caused by the fact that TGZ is an archive in archive (TAR packed into GZ). GZ format does not allow storing several files in it, so when you try to add another file to tar.gz, TC treats this archive as GZ with TAR in it and disallow adding your file into GZ together with TAR. When you open TGZ (as double archive), you have internal TAR opened - and there it's possible to add new files.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

Flint wrote:When you open TGZ (as double archive), you have internal TAR opened - and there it's possible to add new files.
Good explanation, except that it's the internal GZ being active (showing the TAR inside the GZ archive, as you wrote earlier).

2DrShark
Additionally GZ only supports one file per archive, so "adding" another file here will actually delete/overwrite the existing TAR file inside, replacing it with the new one (TC warns the user here somehow, "overwriting name.tgz"). So IMO dragging to TGZ or GZ would not make much sense, would it?

Would you still like to activate dragging to TGZ and GZ?

With TAR alone dragging works fine here.
So I'd say: by design.
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed that's exactly the reason why dragging to gz and tgz isn't supported...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Indeed that's exactly the reason why dragging to gz and tgz isn't supported...
I agree about gz, but I think you can add drag&drop for tgz
Flint wrote:GZ format does not allow storing several files in it
But tar/tgz allows (not directly, by repacking) and also, as I wrote in first post, I can add files by copying from opposite panel. Why not make drag&drop? It's more useful.... convenient...