General plugin management

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

oblomov

General plugin management

Post by *oblomov »

Hello,

I'm not sure whether this is the right forum, but since the question is about plugins, I thought it would fit here :)

Also, maybe I should wait for TC6 to see if things have changed, but then again if they have I'm sure the Author and the beta-testers can tell us they have :)

So here comes the question:

as it popped up recently in the wcRES thread, plugin management needs some form of "higher-level" control. While it came out particularly significantly about packer plugins, the thing is actually more general, and is true for at least Lister plugins as well.

Since there is the possibility that different plugins might all handle (in possibly different way) the same file/type, when this happens where should be a way to let the user choose which plugin to try.

With lister, you can cycle using 4; with the packers plugins this is not yet possible. But in both cases, one might want to be able to choose the plugin directly, without cycling through all the others.

For example, pressing 4 and keeping it pressed could pop-up a menu with all the plugins can that handle that file; the same could be used when pressign Ctrl+PgDn on a packed file.

The second problem is that plugin management is somewhat clumsy: changing the order or resetting the flags can be quite cumbersome. I know there is a Plugin Manager plugin, but last time I tried it it had some heavy limitations; did this change?