Visual Studio 2005 + Team Explorer hang on start

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

tbraun

Visual Studio 2005 + Team Explorer hang on start

Post by *tbraun »

Visual Studio 2005 with latest Updates and Team Explorer as client of the Team Foundation Server did not start any more if I install TC7.02a. If you start VS it shows the Splash Screen and then shows the application frame and the internal application frames but without contents. If you click on the application the titlebar shows "Application not responding". This stays until you kill the process.

I have Vista 32 Bit Business Edition.

All the time before I used TC7 Beta on this system and it worked fine. After installing TC7.02a it came to that problem. Maybe this happens after a restart of the PC.

First it was not clear to me and I thought it depends on the latest Windows updates published on 18th Sep. But I uninstalled and reinstalled the parts multiple times and I'm now sure that it is a dependency between VS2005, Team Explorer and TC7.02a
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Strange, I don't have this problem with VS2005. I also cannot immagine how TC could cause that. To me it sounds like some program hanging in the background, stopping DDE messages.

Please try restarting your PC, this should kill all hanging apps.

If this doesn't help: Do you open the VS files from within TC? If yes, try starting VS2005 separately and open the project via the "File - Open" dialog.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
tbraun

Post by *tbraun »

I started VS2005 from the Icon on the Desktop. I didn't started a dedicated project. And I'm not able to do this within VS2005 because it hangs directly when it tries to start.

Restart do not help i tried it many times. The only thing that helps was to uninstall Team Explorer and TC and reinstall Team Explorer.
It is also not necessary that TC is running to bring out this effect.

Did you test TC together with the Team Explorer installed?
Do the TC installation do any system modification for file browsing or remote connections?

May I can give you any more information or should checkout some steps?
tbraun

Post by *tbraun »

I tried the installation of TC7.02a again. I don't know why but now it seems to work fine. 2 Day before a uninstalled TC and uninstalled Team Explorer and installed Team Explorer again but didn't tried out to install TC because I have to work with the system. Today I tried the installation again and it works fine even after system restart.

So I will suggest to postpone this topic. It seems that something else has influenced my system. So if this is true, I'm sorry to waste your time.

Best regards,

Thomas
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed it sounds that something went wrong during your first installation which was fixed by the second installation...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com