LinkInfo: Lister plugin for viewing/editing LNK files

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

LinkInfo: Lister plugin for viewing/editing LNK files

Post by *Flint »

I've recently created a new plugin, that I've looked for, but have not found. This plugin alllows to view the information about LNK-files - all that you could see by pressing Alt+Enter you can see now by pressing F3: file name, shortcut, file with the icon, icon number and so on.

Latest version can be downloaded here:
English version: x32+x64 (mirror) (309 Kb)
Russian version: x32+x64 (311 Kb)
Last edited by Flint on 2011-10-02, 17:18 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

Thanks for a new plugin.
I have one problem. If I go to my desktop using TC command: cm_OpenDesktop I can see many links to programs there. For some of them I can't see the details in your plugin, I can see only this e.g:
"Info about link file C:\WINNT\Profiles\darek\Pulpit\Adobe Reader 6.0.lnk"
I've found it doesn't show full info for links which are in All Users directory: C:\WINNT\Profiles\All Users\Desktop\
If I go directly to the above directory I can see everything but from the Desktop I can't.
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

djk
Thanks for the bug revealing. It's really so. I'll try to fix it as soon as possible.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Well, is looks like Total Commander's bug :( The thing is that ListLoad receive an incorrect string as the file name. For example, if you have on your desktop a link from the folder All Users (on my Win2000 this is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\Adobe Reader 6.0.lnk), and try to look it by F3, ListLoad receives C:\Documents and Settings\flint\Desktop\Adobe Reader 6.0.lnk path (flint is my login). So, I cannot fix this bug easily. Maybe, I'll do it later - it can be done by writing additional code for this particular situation, that detects, if this link is not yours but all users', and in this case will take right path. But the Desktop paths are different in different Windows versions...
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2djk

now we have the reason for the bug you described in http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=1403

2flint

I don't know if it works for all windows versions:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folder\Desktop
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

That's a very useful plugin, thanks. I think it's not easily possible to alter information in .lnk-files (that would be really great) because lack of documentation from Microsoft, is that right?

Icfu
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Icfu
No, I've found almost complete documentation on LNK-files format and I was ready to learn it, but I've found several API-functions that allow to get and set parameters of the LNK-file :) And their use is quite easy. I'va just taken all of these functions and displayed the data, they return for the particular link. If you're interested in it, go to MSDN, IShellLink interface.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Well, I'm not a programmer myself that's why I just do a feature request.

Nice to hear that lnk structure is well documented, so I can hope for such a feature in version 2.0? ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Lefteous
Sorry, I didn't see your addition before. I'll try to use this registry key, but I think, it will not be very quickly - I'd like to test it on as many systems, as possible.
Icfu
In my opinion, Lister must only view the information :) Maybe, I'll write an additional application for changing parameters of LNK-files. It isn't very hard, but I nave almost no free time for it :( When I do it, I'll write it in this topic.
PS: But with this interface one cannot change these parameters arbitrarily, for example, you cannot create a link to a file that isn't exist - an error will be returned. To do so, it is necessary to learn LNK-files format, but this can take very long time, because it is complex enough.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

No need to change information arbitrarily, at least not for me. :)

I have always searched for programs being able to edit lnk files more convenient, to change hotkey assignments, parameters, icons, maybe even search and replace absolute paths with variables to be able to reuse lnk files when source path changes, etc.

No success till now, so I'm looking forward to some other plugin to come, maybe... Thanks.

Icfu
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Well, the first version of the program is ready! http://flint-inc.narod.ru/Products/MakeLink_1.0.zip. It can create links on files with user-specified parameters. Later I'll add the possibility of modification existing LNK-files, it will not be very hard, I think.
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

Flint wrote:Well, the first version of the program is ready! http://flint-inc.narod.ru/Products/MakeLink_1.0.zip. It can create links on files with user-specified parameters. Later I'll add the possibility of modification existing LNK-files, it will not be very hard, I think.
Nice but... it's a pity it's not a plugin for TC :-(
DJK
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Are there many Lister-plugins for TC that are editors? As I think, Lister must not edit files, only view them. To edit there is a button F4.
By the way, I have a good idea for TC improvement: to make the possibility of different Editors for files with different extensions. I think, it has already been phrased somewhere on this forum...

Ok, as this is not implemented now, I'll try to make something like LinkInfo_EE (Editor Edition :)) on the base of the latest program. Maybe, it is not so hard to implement this dialog into Lister-window...
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

Flint wrote:Are there many Lister-plugins for TC that are editors? As I think, Lister must not edit files, only view them. To edit there is a button F4.
There are several, eg.:
- hpg_ed,
- baseview,
- iniview
:-)
DJK
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

@Flint:
Thanks for the program, unfortunately I wasn't able to download it from your site, it's very slow, timeout or whatever, all that is received is a file '100.xhtml'.

For example, wlx_imagine is a lister plugin with which one can not only view but also edit (rotate, inverse, etc...) pictures.

There is already the possibility to choose different (external) editors by file extension:
Options-Edit/View-Associations.

Icfu