Copystreams not for Directories

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DragonFly

Copystreams not for Directories

Post by *DragonFly »

Don't know if this is a bug, intentionally left out or just not implemented, but let me explain:

To get a clear overview I've tagged my mp3 collection. To display ID-tags from files various plugins are out there. To view ID-tags at one glance for the parent dir holding the actual mp3's, fewer options are available.

One of those (the quickest to display) is to use NTFS Alternative Data Streams. Those streams can be displayed with the use of the NTFS_diz plugin. Something like this:

Image: http://home.quicknet.nl/mw/prive/dragonfly/Total02.jpg

Having added ADS to numerous directories, I was ready to copy data to their final destination on a separate HD. As the author of the plugin stated in his readme.txt, I added the CopyStreams=1 to wincmd.ini, but to my disappointment only file comments are copied NOT dir comments.

As ADS works for files AND dirs, I was wondering why these datastreams are copied for files but not for dirs in Total Commander.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, TC can only copy ADS of files, not directories. I'm not sure whether it's possible at all to copy ADS of directories...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

Explorer Copy <Ctrl+C>, <Ctrl+V> can copy ADS for directories, but only if the directory doesn't exist in destination panel.

Regards,
Holger
DragonFly

Post by *DragonFly »

Yeah, you're right HolkerK!!. That works.

If that works, there must be a way for the native copy command to do the same......

@Ghisler
Why is it seemingly impossible for Directories to copy ADS?

ADS opens up tons of possibilities for using (fast to display) File and Dir comments. I'd really like this to work.

Many thanks in advance
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

ADS opens up tons of possibilities
Yes indeed ! Even viruses are using it to add malicious code to files without changing size and checksum. :evil:

Just this kind of comment are NTFS dependent and will not be copied to FAT(32) drives (common USB Sticks) and CD/DVD media.

For this reason TC supports descript.ion comments.

But nevertheless I agree: If ADS copy is supported for files it should be supported for directories too !
#5767 Personal license
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

sqa_wizard wrote:
ADS opens up tons of possibilities
Yes indeed ! Even viruses are using it to add malicious code to files without changing size and checksum. :evil:
Don't forget anti virus software like Kasperky, which is using ADS for caching/performance reason too.
Tons of bytes fragmenting the disk. :evil:
But nevertheless I agree: If ADS copy is supported for files it should be supported for directories too !
Overwrite dialogs are only available for files, not for directories.
In case of files (including the ADS), the destination version is replaced with the source version (file and ads).
One problem is, what should TC do if one directory is merged with another existing directory.
Actual the existing directory:ads isn't replaced when explorer copy method is used.

Regards,
Holger
DragonFly

Post by *DragonFly »

Yes I know, you can do all sorts of nasty things with ADS, but that's not my intention at all.

Having tons of directories with "Artist - Album", I just want to look at the given comments like genre, year and rating within Totalcommander

TC can display similar comments using Descript.ion but not (yet) divided into columns, at least not with the help of other plugins. Until some sort of delimiter is implemented to separate strings in descript.ion, ADS with the NTFS_diz wdx plugin does the job.
Last edited by DragonFly on 2008-11-12, 13:50 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Actual the existing directory:ads isn't replaced when explorer copy method is used.
The same should be supported by TC : The existing directory is not replaced, but "enhanced" => ADS unchanged.
During recursive copy/move operations: Creating a new directory => ADS copied too
#5767 Personal license
DragonFly

Post by *DragonFly »

With the phrase "should be", you mean "ought to be" or "is supposed to work"?

Sorry, my native tongue isn't English....

If you mean "supposed to work", would you care to elaborate?
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Sorry, my native tongue isn't English....
Same for me ...
The same should be supported by TC :
In other words:

"The same is currently not implemented, but shall be implemented in future versions of TC (IMHO)"

Hope this wording is more precise ;)
#5767 Personal license