Small tabs request for TC6

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

I agree.
And option for default "home" directory is directory where tab was created.
jb

Post by *jb »

VadiMGP wrote:First of all - thanks, Christian. For tabs and especially for the copy to clipboard from the search result!
Seems not work for me. What exactly do you mean?
VadiMGP wrote:My small wishes:
- i agree with wanderer's suggestion - option for tabs below filelist.
- when i rename tab i'd like to see this new name unchanged when i walk through directory tree.
- it's very useful option to set for each tab "home" directory and option to return to this directory via doubleclick on tab
Yes, I agree almost completely! Especially points 2 and 3 would make tabs much more useful. The only thing I object is the doubleclick. I think it would be perfectly natural to use the "" button to return to the "home" directory when you are not already there. The original meaning of "", namely to go to root directory of current drive, should not be allowed for locked tabs anyway. Or to put it another way: The "home" directory of a locked tab is its "root" directory.
Furthermore I dislike the doubleclick on tabs because right below on the titlebar the doubleclick has a different meaning. Before I disabled the doubleclick on tabs I frequently closed tabs by mistake.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that I combined the suggestions above with the one that it should be allowed to navigate down in locked tab. So a locked tab would actually represent a subtree.
Coco

Post by *Coco »

I just though that it would be nice to have a new option regarding the search result.

Now we have Feed to listbox maybe you can add an option to Feed to listbox (New tab) or just make a default option which can be changed.
Alain
jb

Post by *jb »

Coco wrote:I just though that it would be nice to have a new option regarding the search result.

Now we have Feed to listbox maybe you can add an option to Feed to listbox (New tab) or just make a default option which can be changed.
Yes, good idea!
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

2jb
What exactly do you mean?
In TC 6.0 you can run search across several drives, feed result to listbox and copy selected files to the clipboard. It is extremely important to me. And now my last reason to launch Explorer is gone! :D
Furthermore I dislike the doubleclick
I spoke about functionality - ability return to the tab "home". Doubleclick, click - it's just an option. Everything is good enough for me.;)
jb

Post by *jb »

interDist wrote:Having an ability to define a 'root' (or 'home' - more familiar word for Windows users) for a tab is definitely a very needed feature! I thought about it too and while experimenting with tabbed navigation sensed the lack of such setting.

I think this should work as following:
  • by defaut there is no root for a tab
  • you can define such root by entering a dir, right click on tab -> set home location
    • in such case, double clicking the tab or hitting ctrl+\ will go home
    • ctrl+\+\ could be used to move to the drive root (as \ button does now)
  • a locked tab can be navigated without opening new tabs, but its name is not changed and the location is reset at TC exit
  • the dir selected at tab locking serves as the root of the tab
Basically I agree, but I would like to refine your suggestions. I think it's not a good idea to discuss new functionality in terms of keyboard shortcuts. It's better to suggest new commands. So any shortcut can be assigned to them. For instance the shortcut Ctrl+\ is very bad on Swiss-German keyboards because \ is Alt+<.
In this case I suggest the following new commands:
  1. cm_GotoTabRoot :
    Go to the root (or home) directory of the current tab.
  2. cm_GotoDriveRoot
    Go to the root directory of the current drive. Only allowed for unlocked tabs.
  3. cm_GotoNextRoot
    For unlocked tabs:
    cm_GotoTabRoot if current directory is below it otherwise
    cm_GotoDriveRoot if current directory is below it otherwise
    cm_OpenDrives ("My Computer") if current directory is below it otherwise
    cm_OpenDesktop (root of all).

For locked tabs:
    Same as cm_GotoTabRoot.
According to the usual conventions Ctrl+\+\ is not a valid "shortcut expression". Probably you mean the sequence (Ctrl+\ , Ctrl+\), don't you?
If yes I agree assuming that Ctrl+\ is assigned to the suggested command cm_GotoNextRoot.

I think every tab should have a default home directory. The default should be the initial directory. When you lock a tab it should be the current directory.
jb

Post by *jb »

VadiMGP wrote:First of all - thanks, Christian. For tabs and especially for the copy to clipboard from the search result!
VadiMGP wrote:2jb
What exactly do you mean?
In TC 6.0 you can run search across several drives, feed result to listbox and copy selected files to the clipboard. It is extremely important to me. And now my last reason to launch Explorer is gone! :D
Now I understand, but you made two quite different statements! In the first one I assumed that it is now possible to copy to the clipboard from the search result (not from the listbox). In the second one the emphasis is on searching across several drives.
Copy to the clipboard from a listbox was already possible with TC 5.51.
Copy to the clipboard from the search result is not possible even with TC 6.0.
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

2jb
In the first one I assumed that it is now possible to copy to the clipboard from the search result (not in the listbox).
Exactly. Sorry for misleading you by second statement, i just wanted to give more detailed answer for your question.
Look here.
Coco

Post by *Coco »

Whish to have the quickview as a real tab which can be locked.
Alain