radical breadcrumbs change?

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Would you use the changed breadcrumbs behavior like described in Number 1?

Poll ended at 2009-06-17, 04:55 UTC

Yes I would use it.
42%
No current behavior is fine for me.
23%
I dont care.
35%

Total votes: 31

bluaze

Re: radical breadcrumbs change?

Post by *bluaze »

Samuel wrote:Mh I tried around with the new breadcrumbs bar. Im not getting warm with it. Until now I was used to click on a folder in the path to switch to it. I am not able to use the breadcrumbs bar in a faster way then before.

I hope the following suggestions come not to late. (because one of them is a basic one - see poll)

1. I dont like that the content of an folder is shown. What about to show the alternative folders. (See Picture 1) This has the following reason:
  • A) The content of the last folder is already shown in the file panel. (no need to change it this way)
    B) Clicking the drive Letter is really hard. (to change the first level folder on the drive) The new way would change a drive to another one, what is not necessarily to be done this way.

Code: Select all

Example: For now to change from "C:\Example1\Example2" to "C:\Example3" you have to hit this small "C:". With my suggestion you have to hit "Example1" and choose "Example3".
2. If I use "cm_SrcPathFocus" (btw. strange name for activating breadcrumbs bar) I would like to have selected the folder on the far right, instead of being able to choose "desktop", "my computer", "network" etc.

3. I would like when activating breadcrumbs bar: (with cm_SrcPathFocus) that the menu of breadcrumbs bar is open immediately. With suggestion of Number 1 I would propose current folder is preselected.

4. I would like when pressing left in a one level menu of breadcrumbs bar that the menu doesnt close, but the menu of the parent folder is opened instead (with preselected subfolder)

See third and fourth point in Picture 2
I'm sorry I'm a little confused by your suggestion, especally no.2.
Instead of showing directorys contained, it's better to show other directorys of the same level in breadcrub bar's dropdown list. It's your first suggestion, am I right? And I really can't understand what you said in no.2. Could you give more explanation? Thanks in advance.
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

You understood no 1.

2. If you currently use the "cm_SrcPathFocus" command (activates Breadcrumbbar), it selects the down-arrow on the left of the path.

I just want to have the last Folder of the past selected. (same as if you would press left key after "cm_SrcPathFocus" command)

Hope its clear for you now.
bluaze

Post by *bluaze »

Samuel wrote:You understood no 1.

2. If you currently use the "cm_SrcPathFocus" command (activates Breadcrumbbar), it selects the down-arrow on the left of the path.

I just want to have the last Folder of the past selected. (same as if you would press left key after "cm_SrcPathFocus" command)

Hope its clear for you now.
Thanks.
And I support no.1 and no.2.
no.1 acctually add one level to breadcrumb bar and we can change drives from drive letter's dropdown menu.
no.2 facilitate jumping to nearby levels.
Clo

To Polls—>

Post by *Clo »

[mod] Thread moved to Total Commander Polls (English).
Clo, moderator.[/mod]
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I hope there is a chance to try such an alternate approach.
The same for the suggested improvements for keyboard users.
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

I would be glad to see this too.
Else I will disable Breadcrumbs because change folder with clicking on it is enough for me.
bluaze

Post by *bluaze »

I do think, to be a complete navigating tool, the breadcrum bar should contain a drives list in a direct dropdown menu (not a dropdown menu of a dropdown menu). otherwise, it's not convenient to change drives with breadcrum bar, which i think is a frequent operation (i know there are other methods, but what we discuss now is breadcrum bar). Samuel's no.1 adds a level to a breadcrum bar. It might be a solution.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I'd looked at screenshots in 1st post and think all suggestions about bar behaviour are good ones!
TC should open in drop-down menu upper-level folder, also according to this it should underline left slash (X:\Folder1\Folder2\) instead of right slash (X:\Folder1\Folder2\).
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Looks good, not sure which I'd prefer IRT currentDIR or prevDIR from the drop down menu, so that should just be configurable.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
siealex

Post by *siealex »

I need breadcrumbs in the CE version!
We are not so S.M.A.R.T. as we imagine...