Self Extracting ZIP archives question

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Self Extracting ZIP archives question

Post by *Boofo »

Is there a Win32 version of the Self Extracting ZIP archives option in TC? I use the one for Win3.1 but it seems to make the file the same size or bigger on some text files. Is there a way to set the compression level on this a little better? If not, will there be a 32 bit version in TC soon?
Clo

Re: Self Extracting ZIP archives question

Post by *Clo »

Boofo wrote:Is there a Win32 version of the Self Extracting ZIP archives option in TC? I use the one for Win3.1 but it seems to make the file the same size or bigger on some text files. Is there a way to set the compression level on this a little better? If not, will there be a 32 bit ve rsion in TC soon?
Hi Bob!
Normally, the built-in SFX device works as so well with Win3.1 as with Win 9x... About the SFX created archive-size, it's depending, in the right hand, of the files types and the compression ratio that you set, in the left hand of the archive size range...
- Since the SFX module is added everytime in your SFX-EXE, it's clear that isn't opportune for a small original ZIP, having a low size: in that case, the module can be bigger than the ZIP :cry:
- But for a big ZIP, it's more suitable, because the module represents only a low percent in the final SFX-EXE...

-Even if that doesn't bring a big benefit, you could set the compression ratio to the max (=9) in the Options >> ZIP Packer...
¤ Unfortunately, I dismantled my PC under Win3.1+Win32S some months ago... I mounted its HD in a Packard-Bell P1 - 150, but itsn't on duty (LAN problem)...
Glad to hear more from you about this issue,
:wink: Friendly,
Claude
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Boofo,
Hey,
You can get some other SFX headers from http://clubtotal.free.fr/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=33 , if it helps.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

Thank you Claude and Roman. :)