Total Commander responding slow

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Gaigo

Total Commander responding slow

Post by *Gaigo »

I recently upgraded Total Commander from a version 4.x I believe it was to 6.0. Since then TC is responding very slow when I use some functions. Eg. I use Ctrl+D a lot. Now when I press it takes TC like two seconds to show the menu.
Also when I do a search Alt+F7, it takes some time before the search dialog appears. Then when I press Esc in the search dialog, it takes another few seconds to disappear again.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Might this be by any chance caused by an antivirus running in the background?

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Gaigo

Post by *Gaigo »

Hacker wrote:Might this be by any chance caused by an antivirus running in the background?
Don't know. Norton is running, but it was also running before I upgraded. TC is the only program that is reponding slow.

If it is the antivirus that is causing the problem, what can I do then?
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

I am running Norton's AntiVirus 2004 and it does not cause any slowdown at all in TC. The shortcut keys that Gaigo mentioned run instantly on my TC 6.01. There's a process running somewhere that must be causing the slowdown.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Apart from Boofo's advice, try to temporarily disable the antivirus to see if it's causing the problem.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Pete

Post by *Pete »

Hello Gaigo,

do You run AVM KEN! server and TConsole plugin at the same time? Then TC will slow down Your machine and eat alot of CPU ->100%.

Concerning Your problem, could You find out, which process is using most of CPU by calling task manager?

Maybe uninstall all plugins and also temporarely disable Your anti virus software.

Greets
Pete
Gaigo

Post by *Gaigo »

I have tried to kill the antivirus but it did not help.
Most of the time I have 80% of the CPU free.
I have not installed any plugins.
I'm all confused!
j.x

Re: Total Commander responding slow

Post by *j.x »

Gaigo wrote:Also when I do a search Alt+F7, it takes some time before the search dialog appears. Then when I press Esc in the search dialog, it takes another few seconds to disappear again.
I had exactly the same problem with Norton Antivirus. The "realtime protection" was scanning the wincmd.ini every time it was updated, and that caused the "esc" to take a few seconds... I excluded the wincmd.ini file from scans, and now it's much better (but not as fast as without Norton)...
Using Windows without Total Commander is like driving a car without a steering wheel!
JP

Post by *JP »

If the problem comes from Norton Anti-vir, you should try a great anti-virus I've been using since March: Nod32, from Eset (www.nod32.com). Very light and efficient.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

... and from Slovakia and it has won many awards and AFAIK leads the Virus Bulletin list...
(non-sponsored ad :) )

Roman
Pete

Post by *Pete »

Is this the antivirus/security company MS recently bought?

Greets
Pete
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Nope, don't worry. :)

Roman