more finger friendly version

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

trids

Post by *trids »

Christian, if you do decide to make any icons or text or menu lists bigger ... then please make the larger widget sizes optional, and not hard-coded.

There are people such as myself who are very happy with the size of things as they are. Not everyone has capacitive screens and many people are happy to use the stylus for precision.

TIA
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I wonder whether there is a way to detect the presence of a capacitive screen. Then I could show the larger controls automatically...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
dingolino

Post by *dingolino »

I would not count on a automatic detection.

The easiest way is if the user can make this setting manually, and than there is one reason less for complains ...

For the moment I would be more than happy if I can switch manually.

Best regards,

dingolino

ghisler(Author) wrote:I wonder whether there is a way to detect the presence of a capacitive screen. Then I could show the larger controls automatically...
ianl8888

Post by *ianl8888 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:I wonder whether there is a way to detect the presence of a capacitive screen. Then I could show the larger controls automatically...
Yes, this thread is very acute

MS and HTC (with the HD2) have made a real mess of any backwards compatibility. The i-Phoney has much to answer for with this "finger friendly" dumbing down

TC simply does not work with the capacitive screen of the HD2 without a stylus. There is much backwards compatibility lost with very many programs - the beginning of the end, I think, for this vast library. The amount of re-writing required (even if this was possible to adapt to the new screens) is completely prohibitive ... end of the road :(

And for TC ? Such a pity, it is the greatest piece of software for the Pocket PC that I have ever found

Those who still have the earlier screens (and I still have such) should keep them very carefully, I think. What a shame that the newer high-end 1 Ghz CPU's that had such promise have careered off into this direction
dingolino

Post by *dingolino »

Sorry - I have to disagree.

I am using TC on my HD2 with the "finger friendly" version without any stylus. For my day to day file operations it is quite good and the virtual 2 screen solution is just great, I do not want to live without it.

I have also the new Resco Explorer 2010 and this one is much more "finger friendly" no doubt, BUT it does not have the virtual 2 screen solution.

So - depending on the task - I am selecting one or the other.

I hope that one day the icons are a little bit larger - as discussed allready, also a 2 line mode for the file information would be great to be able to select long file names more easy.

But other than that TC is great on HD2!

Best regards

dingolino

ianl8888 wrote:
Yes, this thread is very acute

MS and HTC (with the HD2) have made a real mess of any backwards compatibility. The i-Phoney has much to answer for with this "finger friendly" dumbing down

TC simply does not work with the capacitive screen of the HD2 without a stylus. There is much backwards compatibility lost with very many programs - the beginning of the end, I think, for this vast library. The amount of re-writing required (even if this was possible to adapt to the new screens) is completely prohibitive ... end of the road :(

And for TC ? Such a pity, it is the greatest piece of software for the Pocket PC that I have ever found

Those who still have the earlier screens (and I still have such) should keep them very carefully, I think. What a shame that the newer high-end 1 Ghz CPU's that had such promise have careered off into this direction
ianl8888

Post by *ianl8888 »

dingolino wrote:
And that's the least of it !!

Try proprietary survey, CAD and mapping programs that need precise stylus input - as I said, wipeout :(

Well done, M$ and HTC
dingolino

Post by *dingolino »

Hey come on - peace for all people :lol:

You can make all things in a better way but this does not mean that you have to run down all other things ...

The HD2 is the very 1st device with this screen technology and it is a big boost in terms of changing the user interface for WM (the iPhone has shown that it works).

No doubt that there will draw backs and that there will be some applications which are not working perfectly at the moment (or worst case working not at all), but don´t you think that with a clever User interface this can be sorted out?

Live is for living and living is free - and is changing all the time.

Have a nice day

dingolino

ianl8888 wrote:
dingolino wrote:
And that's the least of it !!

Try proprietary survey, CAD and mapping programs that need precise stylus input - as I said, wipeout :(

Well done, M$ and HTC
ianl8888

Post by *ianl8888 »

dingolino wrote:
Hey come on - peace for all people :lol:
I have no wish to flame people - I'm far too busy, so my last post on this

My point is simple. Competing with the dumbed down i-Phoney has irrevocably damaged entire libraries of software programs. Jobs will laugh to his grave, I suspect

Sadly, TC is a casualty
kamerunka

Post by *kamerunka »

I don't think this should be automatic, I am with resistive screen, but still prffer to use my finger instead of the stylus
ianl8888

Post by *ianl8888 »

I've been playing with the capacitive screen of the HTC HD2 for about two weeks now

1) if you use a WM6.5 ROM (not WM6.5.x), and a WM6.5 tsk file for theme, then TC can be made to work.

This is because WM6.5 still puts the Start bar on the top (where it belongs), and a WM6.5 tsk theme allows double spacing in the TC menus so clumsy fingers can still "click" the right choices

2) although "finger friendly" is extremely clumsy, TC as currently written can be made to work - the real issue is the small sizes of the > icon for virtual screen (beautiful concept & one I use very frequently), the .. icon for navigating up the directory structure, the \ icon for navigating straight to root

If these sizes are horizontally increased (preferably by user choice), then TC is quite useable under these conditions.The address bar contains enough space to allow this horizontal size increase without loss of accuracy or detail (unless the address is sub-nested to 5 or 6 levels)

3) that said, I detest the loss of stylus accuracy. As a concept, "finger friendly" has an IQ in single figures. The loss of precision for engineering, mapping, survey, CAD, 3D modeling, medical etc apps is utterly appalling

Judging from the leaks from M$$, WM7 will NOT be back-compatible, will NOT allow multi-tasking, will NOT allow any real degree of customization

With the advent of 1+ Ghz CPU's, 0.5+ Gb RAM/Storage and 32Gb SDHC cards, the hardware has now easily reached the level of the earlier 486 PC's - but the firmware is regressing to Paleolithic caveman levels
ianl8888

Post by *ianl8888 »

Further to my posts above on this issue, the WM6.5 (not "6.5.x") version 5.2.21898 now has a feature which makes it easier to use TC:

the scroll bars (vertical and horizontal) now have a pop-up "thumbprint" which makes it very much easier to control the scrolling through extensive file lists in large Directories

Essentially, navigating TC on a capacitive screen is now at about 75% of the precision of the stylus
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Have you tried the latest beta 2+?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ianl8888

Post by *ianl8888 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Have you tried the latest beta 2+?
No, I haven't ... available where, please ?

BTW, I'm away O/S for 6 weeks shortly (in 5 days) on work projects, so attending the forum here will be spasmodic at best for that period

Later Edit: OK, I found it
mondi

Post by *mondi »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Have you tried the latest beta 2+?
Really, mutch better. I'm going to be lucky now...:)
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Any news on this? A theme that uses larger fonts or breaks lines earlier would be highly appreciated.