hide files starting with a '.' (dot)

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

compie

hide files starting with a '.' (dot)

Post by *compie »

Is it possible to hide "hidden unix files"?
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

<Ctrl+F12>

Code: Select all

|.*
or add

Code: Select all

.*
to the ignore list (cm_IgnoreConfig + cm_SwitchIgnoreList)

HTH
Holger
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Or if it is on the FTP-server: uncheck "Net" -> "FTP Show Hidden Files"

It does not work on all servers.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
rsnowd

How about directories?

Post by *rsnowd »

This is great, but I also have hidden .svn directories created in this project I'm working on which I'd like to hide... Setting the mask in Ctrl+12 hides the files fine, but leaves the .svn directory still visible.
I've fiddled around with advanced settings in the dialog, and can get it to do exactly what I want to the files, but not the directories. Is there any way I can get those hidden too?
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

Ignore list

HTH
Holger
rsnowd

Post by *rsnowd »

HolgerK wrote:Ignore list

HTH
Holger
Thanks. I would have preferred to have this sort of toggle happen when I did the Ctrl+F12 as well, which would allow me to set things more the way I want them, but this is at leas a useable alterative.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

rsnowd,
In Ctrl+F12 filter you may specify more than one mask separated with spaces. E.g. you may set mask "|.* .svn\" - and TC will hide files w/o name and .svn folders.
rsnowd

Post by *rsnowd »

MVV wrote:rsnowd,
In Ctrl+F12 filter you may specify more than one mask separated with spaces. E.g. you may set mask "|.* .svn" - and TC will hide files w/o name and .svn folders.
Ok... I've played around with it a bit more, and here's my problem:

I have hidden files and folders (with the hidden file attribute). Some of the hidden files are named .*, others aren't.
I want to be able to hide everything, both folders and files, that have the hidden attribute set.
If I set a mask, I can hide the folders and files based on the mask, but in this particular project, there are quite a few files and folders that shouldn't be distributed, and most of them have the hidden attribute set. There is no consistent file name pattern that I can put in the mask. So I also want to hide everything that has the Hidden attribute set, and a couple of extra files and folders with the mask.
The moment I set the attributes on the advanced tab to hide stuff with the hidden attribute, it totally ignores the mask I have entered, and only works on the files. All files with the hidden attribute disappear from the view, but the ones listed in the mask reappear, and all the folders reappear. It seems I can set my filter on either the mask, or the attributes, but not both at the same time, and the attributes work as expected on files, but not on folders.
Either I'm missing something, or it isn't working the way I expect it to from the documentation and suggestions here.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

If you need to set attributes for some set of files you may search for matched files (using mask, attributes, plugins etc) and then use button 'feed to listbox' and then select all files in listbox and change attributes for them.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

It seems I can set my filter on either the mask, or the attributes, but not both at the same time, and the attributes work as expected on files, but not on folders.
It is not quite true - you can use saved searches that include masks and use attributes at the same time - just not for excluding directories.

Excluding directories can only be done with a mask written directly in the dialog that comes up when you press Ctrl+F12 - not with a saved search = predefined selection type     (>something).
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar