decThumbsDBViewer

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

2Dec,

So, then it would be kind of a waste to register the program if it is not going to be supported or developed any further, right? I just wanted to check before I registered it and ended up regretting it. Thank you, sir.

Oh, and running an older version of TC just to be able to view thumbs is not a very good trade-off that makes any kind of good sense.
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

How do I un-overwrite all my data?

User of Total Commander
#60471 Single user license
Dec

Post by *Dec »

Boofo wrote:So, then it would be kind of a waste to register the program if it is not going to be supported or developed any further, right?
I plan support plugin: if you want me to add additional feature to plugin (except for support of new file formats), I will do it, if you find an error I will try to fix it.
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

2Dec,

Let me get this straight. The new version doesn't doesn't support as many file formats as the free version used to, right? Like XnView and others. And you have no plans to at least get it up to the old version standard? What other features could be added that would make sense to pay for a plugin that does less that the free one used to do? Or is this plugin release the bait to get your highly-priced commercial program going?

User of Total Commander
Dec

Post by *Dec »

Boofo wrote:The new version doesn't doesn't support as many file formats as the free version used to, right? Like XnView and others.
Yes.
Boofo wrote:And you have no plans to at least get it up to the old version standard?
Yes.
Boofo wrote:What other features could be added that would make sense to pay for a plugin that does less that the free one used to do?
I want repeat my words: if you don`t like new version of plugin or if you don`t want to pay for a plugin then you can use old freeware version of it.
Boofo wrote:Or is this plugin release the bait to get your highly-priced commercial program going?
No, becose highly-priced program is developed for police, and I don`t think that any simple person will want it to buy.
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

Didn't the old version of the plugin support most of the file types that the commercial version does now?

And as far as using the old version of the plugin, we can't do that because of the changes in TC, and going to an older version of TC just for a plugin is kindof a moot point.

It's not that I don't like the plugin, I do. It was one of the best. And I have no problem paying for something if it will do what I want it to do. I was under the impression that you were going to update the plugin to work with the newer version of TC, as you had stated. But you took stuff out of it apparently which makes it kindof useless for a lot of what it was useful for before.

Hey, it's your plugin and yours to do with what you want, I guess. Hopefully someone will pick up the ball and make one that will do at least what your older version did.

User of Total Commander
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Yeah regressions blow. Opera has been failing badly in that area of late as well. The logic behind this move makes sense, though likely doesn't seem fair: updated to work with current TC and Windows, all other extraneous file types are gone.

Available options are definitely non-optimal:
1) Stop viewing extraneous Thumbs in TC (Register Plugin).
*) Stop using those other programs how you would of preferred.
2) Use older version of TC and the programs you like (Do Not register).

I'll stick with External Apps for ThumbView/managing, which don't rely on third parties that can break functionality at whim. Certainly TC's thumb support could be improved as such, but it's likely not a priority.
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

What external app do you use to view assorted thumbs files?

User of Total Commander
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

I've been playing around with PicaJet FX, and
Viewer2 -- Which had one of the most interesting interfaces I'd seen in a while. Supposedly he's working on the next version (new code base). I've used Picasa before but that usually drives me crazy and I uninstall it.
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

But does Viewer2 let you view all sorts of thumb files? Or is it just another viewer like XnView?

User of Total Commander
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

It's just another viewer, that stores it's own DB.

Honestly though, when I get Win7 later this year - there will be little reason not to just use Explorer for image directories. Even under Vista, Explorer's handling of Image folders was extremely smooth when compared to XP/W2K or even external viewer apps.

There's definitely a few areas where TC doesn't shine so bright when compared to plain old Explorer, and thumb handling is currently one of those places.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

On exit from Total Commander, this plugin may cause its crash.
In Windows Error Reporting, error may look like this:

Code: Select all

Сигнатура проблемы
Имя проблемного события:	APPCRASH
Имя приложения:	TOTALCMD.EXE
Версия приложения:	9.1.2.0
Штамп времени приложения:	2a425e19
Имя модуля с ошибкой:	StackHash_5dae
Версия модуля с ошибкой:	0.0.0.0
Штамп времени модуля с ошибкой:	00000000
Код исключения:	c0000005
Смещение исключения:	0b0f19e2
Версия ОС:	6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Код языка:	1058
Дополнительные сведения 1:	5dae
Дополнительные сведения 2:	a85d95976666297c4e4b636511ae13fe
Дополнительные сведения 3:	68fe
Дополнительные сведения 4:	118c0472596b016f47ccd87ac9947326
Instead of StackHash_5dae, you may see decThumbsDBViewer.wlx_unloaded (in the dump the debugger may show it as something like ExceptionAddress: 0a7919e2 (<Unloaded_decThumbsDBViewer.wlx>+0x003019e2)).

The crash doesn't happpen each time TC is closed, it is rare indeed.
But I encountered it with Total Commander 9.12, betas of TC 9.20 and some 4.x versoins of decThumbsDBViewer.wlx plugin.

A comment on a crash dump by Christian Ghisler (from email):
Christian Ghisler wrote:According to [the dump], the crash happened in Unloaded_decThumbsDBViewer.wlx which means that it crashed in the unload function (dll process detatch).

The bug is indeed in decThumbsDBViewer.wlx, see the crash report analysis below. When you look at section STACK_TEXT, you can see that no Total Commander code is in the stack. It seems that there is a background thread created by decThumbsDBViewer which is crashing when TC exits. That would also explain why TC cannot catch the exception: TC adds a global exception handler to all threads it creates. However, threads created by plugins cannot get this because TC cannot inject any code in them.
Plugin author, Dec, wrote in email reply on the issue that this plugin is not supported anymore (btw, as well as all other Dec's plugins for Total Commander.) Which means there will be no update with a fix for this issue.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
Peter
Power Member
Power Member

Re: decThumbsDBViewer

Post by *Peter »

I just installed this plugin on Win10, and basically it works fine on Thumbs.db from Explorer on Win10.

But I have 2 questions:
a) I don't see the (activated) modification date.
b) all images are "stroked through" with a big cross (like a large X).

Are these problems of thumbs.db or problems of the plugin?
TC 10.xx / #266191
Win 10 x64