Multi-volume archives: RAR size "bytes" still wron

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DRP535

Multi-volume archives: RAR size "bytes" still wron

Post by *DRP535 »

Just had reason to use the multi-volume archive feature in TC v6.01 and I notice that the terminology used to define the size of the resultant archives is still wrong when using RAR. It asks the user to specify the archive size of each volume in *bytes*, but it should be kilobytes.

I tried to compress and split a 10MB file into 2.5MB chunks, so in following the instructions I entered an archive size of 2621440 and I ended up getting one archive of considerably more than 2.5MB in size.

Enter a value of 2560 however and the archive sizes come out at 2621440 bytes.
Clo

Re: Multi-volume archives: RAR size "bytes" still

Post by *Clo »

DRP535 wrote:Just had reason to use the multi-volume archive feature in TC v6.01 and I notice that the terminology used to define the size of the resultant archives is still wrong when using RAR. It asks the user to specify the archive size of each volume in *bytes*, but it should be kilobytes.

I tried to compress and split a 10MB file into 2.5MB chunks, so in following the instructions I entered an archive size of 2621440 and I ended up getting one archive of considerably more than 2.5MB in size.

Enter a value of 2560 however and the archive sizes come out at 2621440 bytes.
:D Hello!
For the fun, I tested this packing-option with ZIP, but choosing an USB-key instead a diskette! :lol:
Amazing! That works, TC asked for the next "diskette" when the whole folder-files has been packed in the USB-stick! Of course, having only files to get a ~ 10 MB ZIP, the USB-sticks wasn't full...
In that case, TC didn't asked neither for a partial archive size, nor for the size unit (bytes, KB, MB...).
I posted already something in French about this test; it's in the French Forum: "Clé USB = disquette"; I could translate it for you if you wish ?
:) Frendly regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2DRP535

Don't check multiple disk archive. Append -v2500K (2500 * thousand bytes) or -v2500k (2500 KiloBytes) to the file name.
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 20-12-2003 04:59:11 +0000 DRP535 wrote:

D> I tried to compress and split a 10MB file into 2.5MB
D> chunks, so in following the instructions I entered an
D> archive size of 2621440 and I ended up getting one
D> archive of considerably more than 2.5MB in size.

I told you, read this.[/face]
jy Cheng

Post by *jy Cheng »

> RAR for Windows reads configuration information from the file rar.ini,
> placed in the same directory as the rar.exe file.
> This file may contain the following string:
> switches=<any RAR switches, separated with a space>

Configuration -> Choose rar.exe as your RAR Packer
switches=-2500000b (or more switches)

It's not a good idea but maybe useful sometimes. In fact, I built a rar/winrar sub-menu for many different purposes. For example,
One item in rar/winrar sub-menu of mine
Command : path\winrar.exe
Parameter : ?a -av -cfg- -ibck -r0 -ts4 -m5 -mdg -s -v2500000b "%t%O.rar" @%F
You can also create a button in toolbar, just like above.
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 21-12-2003 16:16:24 +0000 jy Cheng wrote:

jC> Configuration -> Choose rar.exe as your RAR Packer
jC> switches=-2500000b (or more switches)

And force RAR always make multiparted archives this way? %)

jC> It's not a good idea but maybe useful sometimes.

You can solve the split size problem two other ways - like this and like this.

jC> Command : path\winrar.exe

If you have WinRAR installed, it's not necessary to use the path any more 'cause it sets "WinRAR" system alias in Registry [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths] key on installation. Just use "WinRAR" instead of path in user menu (doesn't work in "Settings | Packer").[/face]
jy Cheng

Post by *jy Cheng »

Black Dog wrote:[face=courier]jC> Configuration -> Choose rar.exe as your RAR Packer
jC> switches=-2500000b (or more switches)

And force RAR always make multiparted archives this way? %)
jC> It's not a good idea but maybe useful sometimes.
You can solve the split size problem two other ways - like this and like this.
[/face]
I have said It's not a good idea but maybe useful sometimes. :wink: I think it's not too bad if I want to do a large number of duplicate actions, it's not necessary to type '-v2500000' everytime.
RAR.exe handles options in rar.ini with the lowest priority, and WinRAR ignores the configuration file. Anyone can change rar.ini file or TC setting anytime :)
Black Dog wrote:[face=courier]jC> Command : path\winrar.exe
If you have WinRAR installed, it's not necessary to use the path any more 'cause it sets "WinRAR" system alias in Registry [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths] key on installation. Just use "WinRAR" instead of path in user menu (doesn't work in "Settings | Packer").
[/face]
Right, I also known this very well, but I kept many old WinRAR versions (since v2.0x) in setup path. It's my way, I change the filename frequently :D
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 21-12-2003 19:45:34 +0000 jy Cheng wrote:

jC> I have said It's not a good idea but maybe useful
jC> sometimes.

Khem, I'd rather say this is a BAD idea... %)

jC> I think it's not too bad if I want to do a large
jC> number of duplicate actions, it's not necessary
jC> to type '-v2500000' everytime.

Why exactly "-v2500000"? And there is "b", actually? %) I really doubt someone have to split archives to 2500000-byte pieces 24/7 - I'm talking about rules, not exceptions %).

jC> RAR.exe handles options in rar.ini with the lowest
jC> priority, and WinRAR ignores the configuration file.

Can't see your point - actually this is why I suggest not to add "-v" parameter to basic configuration in rar.ini and send it this or this way.

jC> Anyone can change rar.ini file or TC setting anytime

I'm talking about most convenient way possible, but of course one CAN get the same result through the ass %).[/face]
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

Sorry but you are all missing the point of my original posting. You are all suggesting work arounds or other ways of doing what I wanted to do - none of which are necessary because as I pointed out right from the beginning, I was able to figure out what was wrong immediately and it was simple enough to fix it just by dividing a number by 1024.

The point was simply to make aware that TC doesn't handle the size specification of multi-volume RAR archives correctly. I thought it worth pointing out because I thought this was going to be fixed with the release of v6x and it hasn't been.