[Idea] Jump to next file type group

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Aezay

[Idea] Jump to next file type group

Post by *Aezay »

Have you ever found yourself scrolling down through the file list, when there's like hundreds of subdirectories. I think it would be a good idea to add a hotkey, that jumps to the next file/dir with a new extension.

[..]
[somedir]
[anotherdir]
[4th_dir]

myapp.exe
test.exe
runme.exe

readme.txt
whatnew.txt
example.txt

And now for a little example, just to explain what I mean. Lets pick Ctrl+Alt+Down/Up as the shortcut.

We have just entered a directory, and ".." is selected, now we press Ctrl+Alt+Down, this brings the cursor to the "somedir". If we press Ctrl+Alt+Down again, it brings us to the "myapp.exe" file. The next time "readme.txt" will get the cursor. See what I mean?

Using Ctrl+Alt+Up would then go back through the list. The only disadvantage I can see would be that it only works when they are sorted after extension.
Of all the planets I've been to, this one is my favorite.
Randy

Post by *Randy »

This seems to be a very good idea. I'm mainly a mouser by nature but some of my keyboard-obsessed friends are getting me to use shortcut keys more and more and this seems like a good one.
Gregory

Post by *Gregory »

I have another idea: hotkey for jumping to next file in selection. I've made a script for that action but internal support would be better
robinsiebler

Post by *robinsiebler »

Of course if you have them sorted by extension and you have an idea what the extensions are you could just do a quick search for the extension *.t (for txt) and that would take you there...
Robin L. Siebler
Personal License #13949
------------------------------
"Bother", said Pooh, as he deleted Windows
Gregory

Post by *Gregory »

I have another idea: hotkey for jumping to next file in selection. I've made a script for that action but internal support would be better
Clo

I support...

Post by *Clo »

>>>Aezay
"Have you ever found yourself scrolling down through the file list, when there's like hundreds of subdirectories.
I think it would be a good idea to add a hotkey, that jumps to the next file/dir with a new extension. "

:D Hello!
¤ Though I'm not a keyboard-fan, I support your idea. I sort the files by extension mainly, and it's very annoying to scroll for a while to reach the next group...
We have an extra-key AltGr on French/Latin keyboards (works like Ctrl+Alt), hence it's easy to use...
8) Friendly regards,
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Both ideas are great (Aezay - Gregory). I'd like to see them in TC someday.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.