Can I do a search and replace in TC?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

yxz11

Can I do a search and replace in TC?

Post by *yxz11 »

The new RegEx search is really cool :D. Now, I'm wondering if I can do a regEx search and replace for text file in TC?

THanks,

Yu
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

No, it's too risky without seeing the actual document - this should be done with an editor. Some multiple document editors allow search+replace across documents.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
TwEeD

Post by *TwEeD »

I find this a seriously lacking feature actually ... :? Don't really care for Reg Exp search & replace but basic Search & Replace would be more than usefull...
Ok you can do this in other editors, I for example use the search & replace in Dreamweaver itself for replacing code in my html/asp pages.... But for example at this moment I will have hours of work because I cannot search & replace a selection of files who were feeded to the listbox through a search.... Got to go directory through directory and select file per file and do a lot of search & replaces...

I rather would like that you have an option to activate this feature and thus let us decide if it is too risky....
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

After feeded to the listbox, you can mark them and drag and drop them to your "multiple document search and replace" editor.
#5767 Personal license
Stager

Post by *Stager »

Hi all,

I would also like to request a search and replace tool to be added to the search options. Perhaps similar to Ultraedit's implementation?

Until that time comes, I'll continue to use BK Replacem (free search and replace program) available at http://www.boolean.ca/replace/

Hope this helps those in need.

Dave
Clo

Agree 100%

Post by *Clo »

>>>TwEed
"Don't really care for Reg Exp search & replace but basic Search & Replace would be more than usefull... "
:D Hello, Bonsoir,
¤ I agree 100%! It's tedious to copy files in an editor to handle this!
"I rather would like that you have an option to activate this feature and thus let us decide if it is too risky...."
:wink: I support this opinion too!
¤ The most TC-users arn't kids, I guess...
* Personally, I'm a 61-years-old kid! :lol:
:) Best regards, cordialement,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Just to note, none of us faces any legal charges in case something goes wrong and a user enjoying the qualities of the US judicial system decides to sue Christian because he didn't know what he was doing when checking this or that checkbox and accidentally replacing his whole year's work by "TestingTheSearch&ReplaceFunction".

There are more ways to see a problem and Christian's position.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Clo

Not wrong, but---

Post by *Clo »

Hacker wrote:Just to note, none of us faces any legal charges in case something goes wrong and a user enjoying the qualities of the US judicial system decides to sue Christian because he didn't know what he was doing when checking this or that checkbox and accidentally replacing his whole year's work by "TestingTheSearch&ReplaceFunction".
There are more ways to see a problem and Christian's position.
Roman
:D Hi Roman!
¤ You arn't wrong, but following this point of view, all authors of editors risk the wrath of Justice!
¤ Many use the Delphi™ "Search & Replace" feature; I don't guess that managers of this programming soft be in Courts six months a year...
:roll: In the TC Help, there are warnings enough; and just a good balanced amount of warning messages in the program. Thank God, not a lot of :
"Are you sure to...blah blah...?".
:shock: I hate this style, which does to think that the user (you, me...) is a moron! I much prefer:
"Do you want for ...blah blah... really?". It's so different, and could be saw in favour of the author in a trial...
* I translate always the first style into the second, it's more prudent!
- To be sure is only a feeling,
- to want for something really is a will!
:arrow: So, a Court can judge who is really liable for an important damage... Besides, I noticed that MS uses now this style (in French XP versions); isn't amazing, since they have a lot of lawsuits "on their backs"!
:P It'ld need several pages to tell you what occurs in France for such a case:
in brief, any "Disclaimer of warranty" valants "a pack of peanuts"!
:lol: Don't worry, our jails are not filled with authors of softs!
:) Friendly regards, and:
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
interDist

Post by *interDist »

I still think that this feature would be extremely useful for developers! Christian, maybe you can make a warning window and enable the replacing only for files that are identified as plain "TEXT". Or only for types of files that the user itself puts into some textbox in the configuration ("enable S/R for the following types: _________ Caution: this can severly damage your files!")

I can't recall the number of times I was desperately in need of such option! (especially in the days of old fairly simple editors...)
LarsSandberg

Post by *LarsSandberg »

Now, I'm wondering if I can do a regEx search and replace for text file in TC?

Hi, you can use an editor like UltraEdit ( http://www.idmcomp.com/ ). Like TC I consider UE as an must have utility
Best regards
Lars
Clo

Other for classic...

Post by *Clo »

:D Hello!
For a classic "Search and replace", one can use too "TxtEdit" (Swiss...), multilingual :
http://www.luziusschneider.com
8) Luzius is a TC user. I think to contact him to ask for new start-parameters, allowing a "Search and replace" from TC directly (button in the bar or so...).
¤ This function is so securised in TxtEdit. There are extra confirmation-messages...
¤ I'll ask for he adds RegEx Search/Replace, not supported currently (if possible).
EDIT: Luzius answered me for a part:
You can already lauch TxtEdit for the current file, adding the parameter %N at its button-setting...
:P The licence of TxtEdit is friendly...
:) Best regards,
Clo
amano

Post by *amano »

ghisler(Author) wrote:No, it's too risky without seeing the actual document - this should be done with an editor. Some multiple document editors allow search+replace across documents.
When I use UE I cant see the files content either... if that was true search/replace would only be sensible on that part of a file you can actually see on your screen.
But I have to say in most cases where I use s/r I make sure the reg.ex. works and say 'replace all' no matter what kind of tool I use.

In my minde this is a feature lack.

Thanx a lot for the best tool anyway...

amano
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

If you need decent Search & Replace utilities try these ones, all incredibly powerful:
ReplaceEm (free)
Renamer (free commandline renaming)

Search & Replacers with visual control:
InfoRapid Search & Replace (free)
Agent Ransack (free and pro version available)

Besides that I second the request to include an (at least) basic S&R functionality of course. It should be the users' choice if they want to take the risk, not the author's!.

Just facing a déjà-vu, can someone help me out? ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

interDist wrote:Christian, maybe you can make a warning window...
Pure and simple! It's like in real life. You see a sign on an unguarded door saying "Restricted Area". You have the ability to enter, yet if you do so, you should also be willing to face the consequences of your actions! ;)
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Clo

2-words

Post by *Clo »

2icfu
2pdavit
:) Hello all !
¤ Two words only I AGREE !

:mrgreen:  Kind regards,
Claude
Clo