Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

Black Dog wrote:you don't need to press superfluous keys
:) Just one small little key - Alt...
jb

Post by *jb »

Valentino wrote:
jb wrote:You forgot 3 additional strokes: the prolog (Ctrl+Alt) to enter the quick search mode and the epilog (Esc) to leave it.
I use Alt+Letters, not Ctrl+Alt+Letters. And you don't need to press Esc - just press Enter to go inside a dir or to open/exec a file, or press F3/F4, etc.
jb wrote:Option "Alt+Letters" is excluded if you want access to the menu by keyboard.
To access the menu I press Alt, release it and press letter - the same two actions but separated (not holding Alt).
Valentino wrote:Hi, bago! Almost simultaneously. We can be accused of starting flame. I don't. Just sharing our experince in order to help somebody to find "optimal" TC using.
Thank you for your attentive objections. They have weakened or even negated some of my arguments. But altogether I'm not yet convinced :wink:. Maybe I will retry option "Alt+Letters" for a while occasionally. I suppose in the end there is no big difference in efficiency between "Letters only" and "Alt+Letters".
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 22-02-2003 20:29:30 +0000 Valentino wrote:

V> :) Just one small little key - Alt...

For one thing it interferes with menu accelerators and secondly I have a lot of "Alt"+letter shortcuts. As I told, IMHO "Letters - with search dialog" is the most functional and convenient mode, at the average I use QS more often than CL, so it's not a big deal for me to press arrow if I do need CL.[/face]
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

Yes, you all right. So, we can one more time ascertain that there's no one good configuration for everybody :). Unlike BD, I use very limited keyboard shortcuts number, so... But accessing menu w/o necessity to release Alt is more convenient, maybe I'll try other configs... :) Ehhhhh, how complicated the life is...
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 23-02-2003 13:15:33 +0000 jb wrote:

j> I suppose in the end there is no big difference in
j> efficiency between "Letters only" and "Alt+Letters".

IMHO there is and rather big. In "Letter only" ("letter" in singular, this odds) you can't search for specific extension unlike all other modes. And if you press button too rapidly you can insert it two and more times but in this mode you just can't see what exactly you are searching for. For example you can search for the files starting from "w" but if you press the "w" key faster than one time per second you will search for "ww*" etc. For this two reasons I dismiss "Letter only" mode.[/face]
jb

Post by *jb »

Black Dog wrote:In "Letter only" ("letter" in singular, this odds) you can't search for specific extension unlike all other modes.
I admit searching for a specific extension is a nice feature but I'm not sure whether it makes a big difference. I think in many cases sorting by extension is sufficient or even better.
Black Dog wrote:And if you press button too rapidly you can insert it two and more times but in this mode you just can't see what exactly you are searching for. For example you can search for the files starting from "w" but if you press the "w" key faster than one time per second you will search for "ww*" etc.
I never observed such a behavior and cannot (re)produce it intentionally. Furthermore in this mode I know exactly what I'm searching for, namely for the next file that starts with the next character I will key in (I guess that's why the feature is named "Letter only", "letter" in singular).
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 24-02-2003 22:22:15 +0000 jb wrote:

j> I'm not sure whether it is a big difference.

Well, it just can't be any kind of difference for you if you do not use it. Otherwise you wouldn't need any explanations.

j> I think in many cases sorting by extension is
j> sufficient or even better.

OK. Current sorting mode is "Modified", I need to find the most recent file with RAR extension, for example. In most cases I do it with two, maximum three key presses in "Letters - with search dialog" mode. Moreover, this search mode is very convenient for i.e. double (or more) extentioned files search.

j> I never observed such a behavior and cannot
j> reproduce it intentionally.

What can I say...
OK, for example there are such a files in a directory:

whatever.ext
whatever1.ext
whatever2.ext
whatever3.ext
wwhatever.ext
wwhatever1.ext
wwwhatever.ext

Now if you type "w" with about one second interval cursor will jump through all files. Now type "w" VERY fast two times. Did it? Then type "w" after about a second interval. Cursor will jump only through last three files. Now press "w" VERY fast three times. And tell me what happens yourself...

j> Furthermore in this mode I know exactly what
j> I'm searching for, namely for the next file
j> that starts with the next character I will
j> key in

I'm sorry to say it, but you are wrong. Type any letter, (for example "w" in my example) and than another one VERY fast (for example "h" in my example). Now if you press "h" one more time cursor will jump through first four files, though they start from "w".[/face]
Last edited by Black Dog on 2003-02-25, 14:43 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
bago

Post by *bago »

jb wrote:Furthermore you can also look ahead! When the focus is close to your desired file then you can see immediately for instance that you have to press the key 3 times more.
I forgot to say "no" to this (sorry JB :mrgreen:): I can for sure write more fastly "windows" than 7 time a single letter. I think any user that use the keyboard all the day can do the same. Try it: you cannot use 10 finger on the same key :D
jb wrote:
bago wrote:The way currently TC works you probably write W-I-N (or simply W-I) and then you look if you are on the correct folder. You are on it so 2-3 strokes and 1 lookup on the panel.
You forgot 3 additional strokes: the prolog (Ctrl+Alt) to enter the quick search mode and the epilog (Esc) to leave it. Furthermore N strokes of the same key are easier than N strokes of different keys.
NOTE:
The preceding discussion assumed option "Ctrl+Alt+Letters".
bago wrote: BTW you need the CTRL-ALT in both cases ...
jb wrote:What do mean?
Ctrl+Alt+Letter does not work with option "Letters only".
We was talking about CTRL-ALT-letters configuration when I wrote this :D
License #55385
jb

Post by *jb »

Black Dog wrote:j> I never observed such a behavior and cannot
j> reproduce it intentionally.

What can I say...
OK, for example there are such a files in a directory:

whatever.ext
whatever1.ext
whatever2.ext
whatever3.ext
wwhatever.ext
wwhatever1.ext
wwwhatever.ext

Now if you type "w" with about one second interval cursor will jump through all files. Now type "w" VERY fast two times. Did it? Then type "w" after about a second interval. Cursor will jump only through last three files. Now press "w" VERY fast three times. And tell me what happens yourself...

j> Furthermore in this mode I know exactly what
j> I'm searching for, namely for the next file
j> that starts with the next character I will
j> key in

I'm sorry to say it, but you are wrong. Type any letter, (for example "w" in my example) and than another one VERY fast (for example "h" in my example). Now if you press "h" one more time cursor will jump through first four files, though they start from "w".
You are right! :oops: See also "[Feature Suggestion] Windows List Standard Behavior".
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 26-02-2003 01:25:50 +0000 jb wrote:

j> You are right!

Well, I "eat up the dog" on QS, so probably I am ;). OK, I take the office and moving to that thread :).[/face]