Misc items about plugins

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Misc items about plugins

Post by *Valentino »

1. Wouldn't it be convenient to separate all file system plugins from Network Neighbourhood? I suggest to make one more entry in Alt+F1/F2 combobox "-" or "=" (these buttons are close to "\" which is used to open network). When I open Network Neighbourhood I have some delay (especially long when I'm online) and I have to wait while Windows scans network just to open some FS plugin. Moreover my Network Neighbourhood looks like a big mixed heap of network drives and plugins.
Let's discuss this. Probably you can thinkout smth more convenient.

2. While adding POP3\SMTP plugin, which has DLL extension (because can be installed either as FS or as packer plugin), I had to type *.* (or *.dll) to see it in Open dialog. I think "*.dll" filter must be added to this dialog (in addition to "*.wfx").

3. What's the meaning of "0_detect" or "143_detect" parameters in [ListerPlugins] section of wincmd.ini?
Aezay

Post by *Aezay »

Valentino> 1. Wouldn't it be convenient to separate all file system plugins from Network Neighbourhood? I suggest to make one more entry in Alt+F1/F2 combobox
I have thought about this too. It would make things more organized, since these plugins has nothing to do with the network. Also, all Windows versions above Win98 has this so-called "nice" feature of showing all connected network dirs, the Network Neighbourhood can get really messy this way. The problem of the delay u talk about, nothing i suffer from though, is another good reason for making a separate "plugin drive".

Valentino> 3. What's the meaning of "0_detect" or "143_detect" parameters in [ListerPlugins] section of wincmd.ini?
It's not in my WinCmd.ini file, maybe some plugin you've installed put those entries there?
Of all the planets I've been to, this one is my favorite.
fnheiden

Re: Misc items about plugins

Post by *fnheiden »

Valentino wrote:1. Wouldn't it be convenient to separate all file system plugins from Network Neighbourhood?
I would love to see a seperate "plugin drive", because I'm always waiting till the Network Neighbourhood is scanned/resolved by the system.
Valentino wrote:3. What's the meaning of "0_detect" or "143_detect" parameters in [ListerPlugins] section of wincmd.ini?
These are the detect strings of the lister plugins with the number 0 and 143.

Every lister plugin can export a function called ListGetDetectString which returns a simple parse function to help TC to make the decision whether the plugin can handle the actual file or not. This parse function allows lister to load only those plugins relevant for the type of the actual file.

This function is called when TC loads the plugin the first time - then TC writes the #_detect to the ini.

For example a lister plugin which show the id3 information of MP3 files, will return EXT="MP3" as parse function, because it only accepts files with .mp3 als file extension.

Regards,
~ Florian
poiuytr

Post by *poiuytr »

"plugin drive" is a good idea.
I'm using ctrl+d-shotcuts to plugins to avoid opening "network places".
André Martin

Re: Misc items about plugins

Post by *André Martin »

Valentino wrote:2. While adding POP3\SMTP plugin, which has DLL extension (because can be installed either as FS or as packer plugin), I had to type *.* (or *.dll) to see it in Open dialog. I think "*.dll" filter must be added to this dialog (in addition to "*.wfx").
TC does not allow to install *.wfx files as packer (wcx) and vice versa that's why I had to choose this neutral fileextension...
Browse the web with the HTTP SmartBrowserPlugin
Check your mails with the POP3/SMTP EmailPlugin!
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

2André Martin
I know, that's why I asked Christian to add "*.dll" filter to Open dialog. IMO, it should be done for all types of plugins, not only FS. Anyway wcx, wfx and wlx are actually renamed DLLs. Probably someone will want to write a plugin that expose several plugin interfaces or even all of them :).
Dominik

Post by *Dominik »

that's a great idea,i'd like to have it like valentino says... :)
Maxwish

Post by *Maxwish »

IMHO the plugin extensions should remain as they are. The wlx/wcx/wfx extensions make it clear that these dll's are TCMD plugins.

The pop3plugin with the DLL extension will probably be a one time exception. Why not just rename POP3Plugin.dll to *.wfx (or *.wcx) yourself.
...BRB...
Aezay

Post by *Aezay »

Maxwish> IMHO the plugin extensions should remain as they are. The wlx/wcx/wfx extensions make it clear that these dll's are TCMD plugins.
True, but it also means that if you're gonna use one plugin as both wfx and wcx, you would have to waste hd space on two identical files. I think the open dialog should contain a *.dll filter.
Of all the planets I've been to, this one is my favorite.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately *.dll cannot be used, because with the default Windows configuration, the File-open dialog hides all DLL files from the user!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

2ghisler(Author)
That doesn't matter - adding *.dll filter won't harm anyone. I meant not to replace *.wfx with *.dll, but add it as the second filter. At least those who changed default Windows configuration will be able to select second filter and choose SomePlugin.dll if it's necessary.

P.S. Maybe better not to add the second filter but to replace current "*.wfx" with "*.wfx; *.dll"? I like this even more.
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

fnheiden wrote:These are the detect strings of the lister plugins with the number 0 and 143.......
Thanks, I had to read the description for ListGetDetectString first :).