totalcmd.net

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

totalcmd.net

Post by *petermad »

2Flint

I have started this thread in order to discuss http://totalcmd.net - and I understand that you more or less have taken over after Ergo maintaining this extraordinary source for plugins and addons for TC.

I have a request: When you have both a 32bit and 64bit download link on the same page, then the number of downloads is only increased when the "Download (x32)" link is used - not when the "x64 version" link on the same page is used. Could that be fixed so that also x64 downloads are counted.

Also a question: on the "Authors Panel" there is a new textarea labeled
"Last What's new in English:
(will be used for mailing list)"
What is the purpose of this - I don't see any difference if I write in it - is it for future use?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

petermad wrote:I have a request: When you have both a 32bit and 64bit download link on the same page, then the number of downloads is only increased when the "Download (x32)" link is used - not when the "x64 version" link on the same page is used. Could that be fixed so that also x64 downloads are counted.
The problem is that it's not fair to count a plugin download twice if I have only downloaded its 32+64 bit versions — it's still one plugin, you see. I have not found a better solution yet, but since Ghisler recommends to combine 32 and 64 bit versions into single package, I decided that counting the main package only is an acceptable compomise.
petermad wrote:What is the purpose of this - I don't see any difference if I write in it - is it for future use?
There used to be a mailing list that notified the subscribed users about new/updated plugins. This field would be used for informing about the latest changes only, while the main "What's new" field is shown on the web page and contain all the changes from the beginning of the project (at least, is supposed to). However, the mailing list seems to be no longer working. I'm not sure about the reasons and future policies, but I decided to change things as little as possible, so I just left the field there.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

The problem is that it's not fair to count a plugin download twice if I have only downloaded its 32+64 bit versions
I can understand that, but I am not asking to count the combined "Download (x32, x64)" as two - but if people only download the "x64 version" - it doesn't get counted at all, as it is now.

There are three possibilities:

1: Download (x32, x64)
2: Download (x32)
3: x64 version

I am asking that both 2 and 3 are counted individually.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

petermad wrote:I can understand that, but I am not asking to count the combined "Download (x32, x64)" as two - but if people only download the "x64 version" - it doesn't get counted at all, as it is now.

There are three possibilities:

1: Download (x32, x64)
2: Download (x32)
3: x64 version

I am asking that both 2 and 3 are counted individually.
I understood your request the first time, but I disagree. In my opinion, if I downloaded the full set (x32 together with x64) this should be counted as a single download operation, because it's still the same version of the same plugin. That is, the ideal implementation I see is as follows:
1) If the author published combined package only (x32+x64), its downloading should increment the counter by 1.
2) If he published separate packages for x32 and x64, then no matter how user downloads them (only x32, only x64, or both x32 and x64), in each case the counter should be increased by 1.
3) If the author published the combined package "x32+x64" and, in addition, a separate x64 package (I don't know why, but some authors do that), again, each downloading of the plugin should be counted as 1, no matter whether user downloaded only x32+x64 package, only x64 package, or both.

Why I think so: because otherwise some authors might split the single "x32+x64" package into two separate packages with the only reason to increase the downloads counter. You see, in this situation each user who needs both architectures would have to download them both separately, and if these downloads are counted individually (as you suggest), the counter will be increased unfairly by 2 instead of 1.

However, from the server's point of view, each download is a separate, independent request. There is no easy way to find out whether user downloaded only "x64 version" or both "Download (x32)" and "x64 version". So, my idea about "ideal implementation" is not so simple to implement: "merging" such two download operations into one would require significant amount of effort, plus it might endanger the totalcmd.net security, because I'm not an expert in safe PHP programming. Therefore I decided to count only the "main" package and leave others uncounted. Under the circumstances, it's the best solution I could afford. Maybe in the future I'll find enough time to implement the better solution…
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I agree with Flint. The only other feasible solution would be to have TWO counters, one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit. Both would be increased if the plugin is a combined 32+64bit archive, otherwise only one of the two would be increased.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ghisler(Author) wrote:The only other feasible solution would be to have TWO counters, one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit. Both would be increased if the plugin is a combined 32+64bit archive, otherwise only one of the two would be increased.
I thought about this solution, but it would break the top-10 list: it's hard to tell how to calculate it then (only by the first counter, or by the second, or by sum, or by average…)

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Same problem, same solution: Two top 10 lists:
Top 10 32-bit
Top 10 64-bit

:)
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

My goal with this request is not to get the highest count for my downloads, but to know what is downloaded - for example whether people download the 64 bit version more frequently than the 32bit version, to know where to put my efford.

For now, I have splitted the 32bit and the 64bit versions of my contributions into separate download pages, to be able to see what people actually download.

And for my Menu files - it is not really an option to pack the 64bit and the 32bit versions in the same installation package as suggested.
License #524 (1994)
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

petermad wrote:My goal with this request is not to get the highest count for my downloads, but to know what is downloaded
Unfortunately, this may not be everybody else's goal…

As an alternative solution I could try implement the additional independent counter and show it in the admin panel.

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

As an alternative solution I could try implement the additional independent counter and show it in the admin panel
That could be a good solution (for me at least).
License #524 (1994)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Flint

http://www.totalcmd.net seems to have been down most of today... :-(
License #524 (1994)
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

petermad
There seems to be some problem with DNS. The server itself works fine, but wincmd.ru and totalcmd.net names are not resolved. I'll try to contact Ergo so that he consulted the hoster about the problem, and in the meantime you can add the static address assignment into %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file:

Code: Select all

205.234.222.4       totalcmd.net www.totalcmd.net

Michael Diegelmann

Post by *Michael Diegelmann »

Since December 12 2012 I have no more access to www.totalcmd.net. Error message: "Server www.totalcmd.net not found". Either the server itself is down or the name totalcmd.net cannot be resolved. The DOS command "nslookup www.totalcmd.net" caused a timeout. So I have tried to directly access the IP address 205.234.222.4 but this was blocked by the McAfee SiteAdvisor plugin of my Firefox browser which has characterized this IP address as a dangerous web site. My e-mail request to Konstantin Vlasov (manager of the totalcmd.net web site) hasn't been answered so far.

Does anybody know, what is going on there? Has the KGB shut down this Russian web site and sent its managers to some kind of Gulag in Sibiria? ;)
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

I replied to your letter at 12:12 MSK time (8:12 UTC).

There is no need to blame KGB, or FSB, or FBI, or CIA. The problem is in hardware; unfortunately, we cannot estimate how much time it will take to repair the server. :(

Michael Diegelmann

Post by *Michael Diegelmann »

OK, the mystery could be resolved in the meantime. Just a minute ago I have received Konstantin Vlasov's reply:

Hi, Michael.

There is serious hardware malfunctioning. :-( Repair is in progress since yesterday.

Bye. With best regards,
Konstantin Vlasov.