rc4 to rc5 issues

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

vjg

rc4 to rc5 issues

Post by *vjg »

First off, thank you so much for such a great application!!! :)

I did notice a couple things when going from rc4 to rc5:

on rc4 I didn't run into errors when copying system files to sd card, I have reverted back to rc4 because of the following errors when using rc5:

when trying to copy /data/data files to sd card I would run into the following errors (these would happen at various times when trying to get it to work):
1. can't access shared preferences folder (would state skip or cancel)
2. device busy
3. unable to remount

when going back to rc4, I had no such issues.

I don't know what will happen when rc4 expires the end of this month, hopefully I will still be able to use it??

Anyway, thanks again for such a great app!!!

BTW, I am using android 2.3.4 (stock but rooted) with sony xperia mini.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Can you give me more details, please?
- What's the exact error message?
- Is this a device with two SD-Cards (internal and external), or just one?
- Do you get the same errors when trying to copy from /data/data to /data/data/com.ghisler.android/TotalCommander
- Do you get the same errors when trying to copy from one directory on the SD-Card to another directory on the same SD-Card?
I don't know what will happen when rc4 expires the end of this month, hopefully I will still be able to use it??
No, it will stop working.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
vjg

Post by *vjg »

Thanks for replying and thanks for an awesome app!!!

These errors are very intermittant but occur enough that I went back to rc4...I like using data copying to sd card for backups rather than using backup apps;

1. exact error message: (here are a couple that occurred, only from /data/data to sd card, no issues from sd card to /data/data that I was able to facilitate)
error reading file!
/data/data/...foldername/lib

can't access file!
/data/data/...foldername/files/input2.jar

can't access file!
/data/data/...foldername/shared.prefs/.xml file

****and after these errors when trying to see if remount issue, tried to remount and get:
remount error!
mount: device or resource busy

2. this is sony xperia mini with 1 sd card running 2.3.4 (stock rooted)
3. it only appears intermittantly when copying from /data/data to sd card; it hasn't occurred when copying from sd card to /data/data (tried multiple copy/erase scenarios from /data/data/com.ghisler.android/TotalCommander to/from folder without issue...however this issue is intermittant)
4. same folder/different folder copy to sd card without issue;

On rc4 no issues re: /data/data copying to sd card or remount issues; I really haven't tried other system folders copying to sd card with rc5; very intermittant issue on rc5 but enough to go back to rc4

Anyway, thanks again for such a great app!!! :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have tested this only in the Cyanogenmod emulator, but it doesn't fail to copy - ever. Are you sure that these files aren't locked by apps runing in the background when RC5 was running?

Could you also try to copy the folders to /data/data/com.ghisler.android/TotalCommander ? I want to find out whether it's related to the SD-Card or not.
vjg

Post by *vjg »

hello,

thanks so much for your input...with rc4 this never happened with all the apps (so they shouldn't be locked by apps in the background)...i was able to replicate with /data/data/tcfolder and same errors...all of this is intermittant, it may work then it doesn't, however with rc4 it never happened.

thanks again :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for your test reports by e-mail. It seems that on your system, the "cp" command sometimes reports "broken pipe". This is very strange, I don't currently have any idea why this is happening. Maybe you are moving TC to the background while copying?
vjg

Post by *vjg »

Hello,

It is always in the active window and the /data/data files are so small I don't really have to wait long at all for them to be copied (rc5 copy issues do not occur when using root explorer to copy same data files from /data/data to sd card).

I have yet to have rc4 have this issue, any other ideas?

Thanks so much for your time.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maybe rc4 just doesn't report the bug, but fails to copy these files? Have you checked that? cp reporting "broken pipe" usually means that it could not read from the source file.
vjg

Post by *vjg »

Hello,
No just checked, I received my first "can't access file" from rc4 today and it didn't copy the file, all the other ones copied...most of the /data folders that rc5 wouldn't copy I tried with rc4 and it did most except one file (first one that I have had an issue with)...I subsequently did the same folders with rc5 and it didn't copy 3/5 that were selected (and of course files were missing inside), rc4 missed one file out of 5 folders selected (was the one error was reported).

It looks like when rc4 receives an error it won't copy however the ones that it did copy and rc5 couldn't, there were indeed files inside the folders it copied (referring to rc4) and they weren't missing.

Anyway, hopefully this can be sorted out, my time with rc4 is about to come to an end.

Thanks so much.