Delete/Copy werite protection error becouse of...antivirus?

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Max Born

Delete/Copy werite protection error becouse of...antivirus?

Post by *Max Born »

Hi, I write become something annoying is happening, consistently, with TC, and I would like to know if there is any fix. The problem is that when trying to copy or delete folders, TC a lot of the times, said it could not open some file because is write protected. If I retry, it actually can.

My impression is that it has something to do with the antivirus. I explain.
When I open a folder in TC, I have notice that the .exe files takes some time to appear in the list. The bigger the file, the longest it takes. Some time, they even appear, but it takes some time for the real icon of the file to appear (before they shown a generic icon). I´m not sure, but I think this is because the antivirus have the files locked to scan them. Right now I´m using Microsoft Security Essentials.

If the antivirus is turned off, I´m not 100% sure, but the problem seems to be less frequent.

Is there a way to instruct TC to wait a little longer, before giving up trying to access a file (to copy or delete it)?

I´m using Windos 7 x64, but this also happens in other versions as well (7 x86 or XP).

Thanks in advance, and Best regards,
MB.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, that's most probably caused by your Antivirus. Microsoft Security Essentials takes almost forever here too to show the icon of e.g. the TC 64-bit installer...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Max Born

Post by *Max Born »

Hi, ghisler, thanks for the quick reply. As I said before, your program rocks. There are just somelittle thinks to be tweak here and there.
Indeed, it seems to be the antivirus that delays the access to large files and TC gives up trying to copy or delete. Could a fix be implemented in TC, maybe an ini file parameter setting the max time to wait on copy/delete operations? Right now I´m playing with the copy/delete options in TC to see if using other methods this do not happened, but I´m not sure if it will work.

Best regards,

MB.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, TC doesn't give up - does it really give up on your computer? If yes, what error message do you get?
GeminiAlpha

copying stops because of "write protected" tc8.0fi

Post by *GeminiAlpha »

I recognize the "problem" mentioned in this thread.
Yesterday I got it too while copying a large bunch of files (1645) in 7 Dir's total amount of 1137,3 M choosing "overwrite newer".
From Source: laptop, wireless connected to router, To: Networkdrive connected to router by cable. After 1/3 of all files the copying stopped telling me (in a window) that destination was "write protected". After pressing button "retry" the copying flawlessly continued and ended without further trouble.
AND YES I use (the latest) MS Security Essentials! (and tc8.0final)
Hope this added comment helps somewhat. Feel free to ask me more or to do some testing...
Rudolf.
Let a smile be your umbrella on a rainy day!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's possible that the target file was locked by the Antivirus for scanning, then trying to overwrite it will fail.
GeminiAlpha

Post by *GeminiAlpha »

ghisler(Author) wrote:It's possible that the target file was locked by the Antivirus for scanning, then trying to overwrite it will fail.
And a solution for this inconveniance cannot be solved by TC, I assume?
rudolf
Let a smile be your umbrella on a rainy day!
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

2GeminiAlpha
That's right. You might try to change your antivirus, but there is no guarantee it would help.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64