Total Updater 0.8.6.9 - Total Commander & plugin updater

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ts-soft

Post by *ts-soft »

Tichij wrote:2ts-soft
Place a "Total Updater" in the subdirectory of "Total Commander", for example in: %COMMANDER_PATH%\Tools\TotalUpdater, and selfupdating is ready ... 8)
:D thanks, this works.
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

@LonerD: Thank you very much for your Ukrainian translation, it is now embedded into the next (B7) version - I plan to release it in the middle of this week.

@ts-soft: Exactly as Tichij said, it should work properly this way. You can even put "TotalUpdater.exe" into e.g. %COMMANDER_PATH%\plugins\tools\TotalUpdater\", in this case just be sure to add the "SecondaryPlgDir=%COMMANDER_PATH%\plugins\Tools" line to your TotalUpdater.ini configuration file.

@damjang: Thanks for your report, unfortunately I can't do much with this problem... its not TU's fault, the only problem here is that there was a server crash of totalcmd.net back in time some months ago (Dec 2012), and probably an older copy of the wdx plugin has been copied back to the server, than it was before. (on my PC theres a wdf_exif.zip with "96cfa5b971f4382e6d9cafb9297003f1" md5 hash [size 46KB], and its version is 2.1 - and I'm quite sure I have downloaded it from totalcmd.net before...). All you can do is to report the problem to Flint, the 2.1 package can be found here.

About exif 2.3: this plugin is Christian Ghisler's property, and the only place where the latest version is currently published is ghisler.com/plugins, which I'm not checking atm (its only up to him if he decides to upload it on totalcmd.net or not - by the way, no API / script is available for this ghisler.com/plugins site, and I'm not sure if Christian would have time to implement such things). I could query it though & parse the whole page using some tricks, but I'm not sure it really worths it.

Some reasons:
  • its not updated at all (about once or twice per year? - its almost March, and theres only one plugin with "2013" date on the page, and some of the plugins with date "2012" even have newer versions on totalcmd.net)
  • the version informations are not always accurate (see entries like "Dircbm (site)", or HA (site), Multi-Arc (site) etc. - no version, no date at all -> no way to query latest version)
  • most of the files are actually can't be found directly on the server, it just redirects to another home page (the author's page), so you need to find the correct menu & link to be able to download the file -> no way for the utility to analyze & detect such things (it can handle redirections, but its much more than a simple redirection which outputs a "direct" file...)
Last edited by Bluestar on 2013-02-25, 18:10 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
» Developer of Total Updater & extDir utility.
iana

Post by *iana »

its not updated at all (about once or twice per year? - its almost March, and theres only one plugin with "2013" date on the page, and some of the plugins with date "2012" even have newer versions on totalcmd.net)
the version informations are not always accurate (see entries like "Dircbm (site)", or HA (site), Multi-Arc (site) etc. - no version, no date at all -> no way to query latest version)
most of the files are actually can't be found directly on the server, it just redirects to another home page (the author's page), so you need to find the correct menu & link to be able to download the file -> no way for the utility to analyze & detect such things (it can handle redirections, but its much more than a simple redirection which outputs a "direct" file...)
This was probably addressed before but I'd like to contribute to this nice tool.
for Office2007.wdx 0.3 the updater offers Office2007.wlx 0.4 I thought maybe the author added wdx functions to the wlx but he didn't, and it doesn't offer the updated Office2007.wlx 0.6.2, plus a lot of updated plugins keep old resources so it tries to update them over and over again, could you possibly ad a way for us to manually change a version of an installed plugin so Total7zip or TotalIso aren't reported as obsolete?
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

Thanks for your report, iana.
iana wrote:plus a lot of updated plugins keep old resources so it tries to update them over and over again, could you possibly ad a way for us to manually change a version of an installed plugin so Total7zip or TotalIso aren't reported as obsolete?
This function is already available since Beta4:

You can simply right click in the list of the plugins, and choose "Marked items" / "Confirm updatable items as latest...".

By clicking on this option, TU is going to 'remember' that the marked (ticked) plugins (those which appears with "Update available!" note in the list) are actually already the latest versions, so theres no need to update them (they are going to be saved to "TotalUpdater.ini with their correct crc32 values and their latest version).
iana wrote:for Office2007.wdx 0.3 the updater offers Office2007.wlx 0.4 I thought maybe the author added wdx functions to the wlx but he didn't
Edit (Feb 27):
Fixed in Beta7, scheduled to release today / tomorrow at latest.
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

[face=tahoma]Total Updater v0.7 Beta 7

The new version includes Polish and Ukrainian language support, contains numerous fixes (mainly for Unicode & Access Violation-related problems), supports more hotkeys (see the changelog), and the (intelligent) version detection & compare method has been polished as well.

Update is strongly recommended!
(read the changelog for more info...)

:arrow: Download | 28-02-2013 | MD5 (exe): 66a3219e4e35559446e06691843e21ff

Changelog:

* New: Polish language support (thanks to Maciej Bojakowski)
* New: Ukrainian language support (thanks to Pavlo Dergunov (LonerD))
* New: Updated Dutch language (thanks to Jaap Kramer)
* New: Alternative checksum method to get local fileversions in some cases when absolutely no verinfo exists (no readme, history etc)
[thanks to EricB for the database additions & initial idea]
* New: Added taskbar download progress indicator for Download dialog (available on Windows 7 and newer)
* New: Added the possibility to save items with file extension into the UserDB (though its only recommended in false detection cases)
* New: Hotkey support Ctrl + PageDown - jump to the currently selected item(s) (redirected to Total Commander)
* New: Hotkey support Ctrl + Z - show the Internal Plugin Database / add the current item to UserDB
* New: Hotkey support Ctrl + X - exclude the selected file(s) from the list
* New: Hotkey support Ctrl + D - download the currently selected file(s)
* New: Hotkey support Ctrl + Q - show / hide the Infobox panel
* New: Hotkey support Alt + Enter - open the addon information dialog
* New: Hotkey support F2 - reload (refresh) the version information of the selected local file(s)
* Change: try to read TimeDateStamp from PE files header on date compare, and fall back to the original method in case its not valid
* Change: additional improvements of the online version / date detection & comparison algorithm
* Change: rewrote wincmd.ini path catcher routine (now it should handle the most special cases too)
* Change: added the appropriate "Codepage" key to all embedded language files to detect & show them correctly
* Change: from now on every language string can be seen in the correct Unicode format regardless of system settings
* Change: languages in the selector popup are now in ascending order & their visual display is a bit more pretty
* Change: always try to align the application in center of the active TC instance (if the position hasn't been saved)
* Change: significantly improved "Jump to the file" option (especially when multiple items are selected)
* Change: from now on you can press ESC key in the download dialog to abort the process
* Change: increased the minimal (and default) window height by a few pixels
* Change: added 21 new items to the Internal Plugin Database
* Fixed: potential crash/hang on "Jump to the file" if TC is in tray icon mode (when the main window is hidden)
* Fixed: infinite loop on "Jump to the file" in case there are files in the selection which are on other drive
* Fixed: strip Unicode chars from strings in all cases when catching versioninfo using intelligent version detection
* Fixed: the Unicode letters in the language selector popup could show up incorrectly
* Fixed: the "DirectLink" key in userdb.ini may not work under certain circumstances
* Fixed: an Access Violation error that occurs when excluding multiple directories
* Fixed: saving & loading of [Plugins] IntelliDetect key was not working properly
* Fixed: disabling every kind of popup links on all pages & other enhancements
* Fixed: always force to open every dialog in center of the parent window
* Fixed: remove duplicate links from the download list
* Fixed: blinking of Infobox on show after startup
* Fixed: some possible memory leak problems
[/face]
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

tbeu wrote:3) When I click Search for Updates it opens a list.txt in notepad.
Still present in 0.7.
TC plugins: Autodesk 3ds Max / Inventor / Revit Preview, FileInDir, ImageMetaData (JPG Comment/EXIF/IPTC/XMP), MATLAB MAT-file Viewer, Mover, SetFolderDate, Solid Edge Preview, Zip2Zero and more
EricB

Post by *EricB »

Hi Bluestar,

An additional request: could the jump to file / Ctrl-PgDn open a new tab in the active panel instead of using the current active tab in TC?

Regards, EricB
Regards, EricB
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

@tbeu:
Thats very odd... isn't IE removed / blocked somehow / active proxy overrides its settings / etc on your PC? ('cause TU currently relies on IE engine for parsing plugins - so if your IE is working, it should either). Though even in such cases the utility shouldn't open any list.txt at all (most of all not with the queried data), but still... have no other idea atm. If I remember correctly - fixme - you said you are under 64-bit environment - do you have the opportunity to maybe test the software under 32-bit (e.g. under VirtualBox)?
No matter how hard I try, just can't reproduce the issue, which has been - so far - only reported by you.

And one more question: I guess if you right-click on an item and choose "Download item" after a fresh start of TU, its working (in case it can be found in the database). What if you disable detection of all kind of plugins in the Configuration section, so TU only check for TC's updates? It still opens a list with 1 item, TC in it?
Or could you please check what happens when you double-click on an item that surely exists in the database? (you can see the existence of an entry in the DB by pressing Ctrl + Q)

@EricB:
Of course, or I could just add a new hotkey like "Ctrl + Up", to make it similar to TC. If you have a better idea for hotkey, please let me know. =)

Regards,
Bluestar
EricB

Post by *EricB »

@Bluestar:
Ctrl + Up seems like a good choice, mimicking the TC Open in new Tab function.

Regards, EricB
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

Yes, it is Win7x64. I have IE9 which I hardly ever use. It is not the default browser. It happens all the time no matter if IE or IEx64 is running or not. What happens for you if you directly type the URL in IE? View or download?
TC plugins: Autodesk 3ds Max / Inventor / Revit Preview, FileInDir, ImageMetaData (JPG Comment/EXIF/IPTC/XMP), MATLAB MAT-file Viewer, Mover, SetFolderDate, Solid Edge Preview, Zip2Zero and more
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

tbeu wrote:It happens all the time no matter if IE or IEx64 is running or not.
Ah i see, so even when double-clicking on an item...
tbeu wrote:What happens for you if you directly type the URL in IE? View or download?
I can see the page in IE as it should be (raw text), it doesn't tries to download anything. Maybe this is going to be the root of the problem, for you it tries to download the page even when viewed directly from IE? The page contains basic html headers (for smaller output & easier processing), so maybe the browser just can't decide what to do with it - if this is the problem, I can hopefully overcome it by using some trick in the next version.

Edit: Thanks, _this_ is going to be the problem: a "Content-Disposition:inline;filename=list.txt" header exists, which makes even Chrome & Opera download this page (with filename "list.txt"), instead of just opening it in browser - for me IE is the only exception which doesn't have a behaviour like this.
Last edited by Bluestar on 2013-02-28, 16:58 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

Bluestar wrote:Maybe this is going to be the root of the problem, for you it tries to download the page even when viewed directly from IE?
Yes, page is never displayed in IE but always in notepad. Maybe you should give it other file extension than *.txt.
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

tbeu wrote:Yes, page is never displayed in IE but always in notepad. Maybe you should give it other file extension than *.txt.
Actually it is .php :D Please read the post I wrote above, has been edited with few more informations.
Next version is going to include a fix for this problem (may I send you a private prerelease version before posting the public one?).

Edit: In theory if you Enable the "Open files based on content, not file extension" (image) option in IE settings (or in group policy, if its set), it should work until fix arrives.
Last edited by Bluestar on 2013-02-28, 11:39 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

Bluestar wrote:(may I send you a private prerelease version before posting the public one?)
Sure.
Tichij

Post by *Tichij »

Bluestar wrote:Total Updater v0.7 Beta 7
I want to initiate discussion about list items status (sorry for my bad english.)...
I open TU and see, that status of all items - "OK"... :roll:
IMHO, status "OK/Exist update" must be only after check for updates, but not on start TU...
On start TU, status of list items must be "Unknown" (from where, at this moment, TU knows, that not exist an update)...
#49857 Personal licence
Windows 10 Pro 64bit. TC 10.51 32 + 64bit