Progress bar limit ?

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

SithLord

Progress bar limit ?

Post by *SithLord »

Hi,

A few days ago, I recorded a quite long video sequence with my device (Samsung GSII, CyanogenMOD9 4.0.4) and today, I decided to transfert it to my desktop using the SFTP plugin.

It took quite some time, as the video is a bit bigger than 1GB but something got my attention : On the copy dialog, the progress bar grew until it reached 100% but the transfert wasn't finished at all.

On my desktop, I refreshed the destination directory to see that 750MB were transfered and still going on.

On the device, the progress bar stayed at 100% until the copy finished. After the copy, a quick check showed that the file was fine, not cut nor crippled in any way. This seems to be a display only issue.

There must be a bug somewhere or is it related to the SFTP plugin itself ?
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Well, it is the cache which plays tricks on you ;)

Though SFTP has written all the data (progressbar = 100%), it is still in the cache of the destination system.
TC is just waiting for the "Transfer complete" message.
This is sent after all data is finally written to disk.
#5767 Personal license
SithLord

Post by *SithLord »

Hi,

Ok, definitely not a but in TC then.

I agree with the cache thing but not on the destination system ;-)

You're right, that's the cache, but on Android's side! The destination system is a desktop computer with fast I/O, way faster than the devices WiFi transfer speed so it can't "slow down" the device. This is the other way around, the desktop spends most of its time, waiting for data to arrive :-)

As noted in my other post ([Plugins] FTP, SFTP and WebDAV : Performance), TC's SFTP plugin is quite slow on transfer speed so my guess is that Android OS's cache buffers the file and puts the data on the NIC's (WiFi) sending queue.

As seen by TC's, the whole file was "copied" and waits for "transfer complete" message (sent by the desktop) but, in between, Android didn't yet finish to transmit data over WiFi because the slow transfer rate.

I think this is more like that, don't you agree?