TC-Android with SFTP/WebDav Plugin vs. Background Data

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

seb-
Location: DE\BN - only part time TC user after switching to Linux ;)

TC-Android with SFTP/WebDav Plugin vs. Background Data

Post by *seb- »

Hi,

has anyone else noticed that the Plugins (SFTP + WebDav) cant connect to the Hosts when Background Data is deactivated?

I tried 10 times to get a Connection to my Raspberry Pi via SFTP and WebDav to my synology NAS.

It always worked when trying from my computer (using TC with Plugins as well...).

After i disabled "Restrict Background Data" it works.

I would have thought that using PDP Context based data services with an app that runs in foreground should not stumble over this limitation.

It works with restricted background data + Active WiFi.

However, my browser works with restricted background data and WITHOUT wifi (as it seems to be "Foreground data"(?) then...)

anyone has deep insight to Android and knows wether this can be fixed?

At least it would be good to have this information at a prominent place, so that the next user with restricted background data doesnt search for hours to solve this - i know i could have solved this quicker ;)

EDIT: to make it MORE CLEAR
It seesm that TC Plugin Internet Connection is treated as BACKGROUND DATA altough the app is actively running in foreground...

br
seb
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Plugins are essentially services offering functions to other apps. Apparently Android sees data transfer by services as background data. So when you disable background data, they cannot access the net via phone, only via WiFi. A browser is different, it does the Internet access in the foreground by itself.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com