Aborting of "Move Files"

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

klark

Aborting of "Move Files"

Post by *klark »

Two weeks ago I wanted to copy some file via TC on Android from my NAS to my mobile phone. Unintendedly I selected "move" instead of "copy". As soon as I noticed this mistake I selected "Cancel" on the screen.

As the final result I had no files and no folders on each device. As well on the server as on the mobile phone no files were available any more.

I tried to reproduce this once (obviously with new/test files) and could not reproduce 100%. The files were still there, but the bug I could see was two corrupt files. In total there seems to be a bug, but don't know exactly where.

My HW/SW:
Synology DS212j
Samsung S2, Cyanogenmod 10.2

Hope someone has an idea. The files are gone, but hopefully the problem can be solved. I was so happy when I could use TC on Androis as well but very disappointed when all my holiday data (reservations, mails, ...) were gone just some hours before we left.

Regards
Marc
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry to hear that - but TC only deletes files when it has the confirmation from the operating systems that the files were successfully written. What exactly is corrupted? Is the file too short, or is the data inside different? I'm not aware of any error which could be causing this, so please give me as much information as possible. Btw, just use "Copy", it's exactly the same as "Move" just without the "Delete" step at the end.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
klark

Post by *klark »

I accidentally hit the "move" button. When I noticed this I wanted to stop this and then instead start the copy command. I nearly never use "move".

After I have canceled the move operation, both folders were completely empty. All files were gone.

After my holiday I did some short tests with other data as mentioned. There were two files (mp3-files) where the files were too short after this action. The complete deleting of files was not observed again in my two test runs.

I will try to extend my tests tomorrow. Any specific recommended tests?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's very unlikely that the files are completely gone - I guess that you moved them to a different subfolder than expected. I recommend that you make a search for them on the entire SD-Card.
klark

Post by *klark »

I have already searched on both SD cards and on the NAS for the files. They are definitely gone.

I must admit that I could not again reproduce this error. I will try to do again in the next time and will come back to you as soon as I have new information. I understand that you cannot analyze a possible bug without more information and data.

Thanks for your feedback.

Marc
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's very odd because TC only sends the delete command when the file has been stored and closed. Was there a system crash immediately after the move operation (which could have prevented Android from flushing the cache to the sd-card)?