Allow to override beta expiration

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Allow to override beta expiration

Post by *Flint »

I didn't notice that 8.50 beta version now has an expiration date:
Note: This beta version will expire (stop working) on November 1, 2013.
Please, Christian, could you add a wincmd.ini key (defaulted to 0, of course) to allow using beta versions after the expiration date? As TC tester, developer and translator I find it extremely useful to compare different versions of TC to find out exactly when some bug or feature was introduced. It should help to you as well, because you would only need to check the differences between the two consecutive beta-versions instead of two final releases. Let TC show additional warning, let it nag the user about possible problems, but please don't completely forbid running it! I already met with this problem on protected 7.50 early beta versions, and I had hoped it wouldn't arise again…

P.S. I know I could change system timer, but most modern software would immediately think I'm going to cheat with their expiration dates, and punish me by terminating the license. And, yes, there're virtual machines, etc., but they don't share my environment (often necessary for reproducing some problem), they are heavy and require much time and resources to load. Simply running and old TC version is much, much better.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Flint,
Here is a wonderful tool RunAsDate that is much better than games with system timer. :)

But I agree that it would be better to warn on every launch instead.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I'm using an expiration date in the early beta versions because the bug count is considerably higher than in later betas - and because I'm still getting bug reports from people using some beta version of TC 8. If I added an ini key, many people would simply continue to use the beta.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ghisler(Author) wrote:If I added an ini key, many people would simply continue to use the beta.
They wouldn't if TC nagged them constantly with BIG RED SCARY MESSAGES that it had expired and no longer supported, and that user must update to the newer versions, otherwise horrible bugs will get out which would destroy their operating systems, burn computer hardware and kill their kittens. And let there be NO option to turn these messages off.

This way, users won't use these TC versions for long, but still there would remain possibility to check something with this old beta without messing about with system clock and virtual machines.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

There will always be a AHK script to close the nag screen immediately.
-> Countdown timer.
For every day past the expiration date one additional second. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
;)
Holger
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Flint wrote:burn computer hardware and kill their kittens
:lol:

Nag window may have no close button and it may ignore destroy and close messages so no way will be available to close it.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

MVV wrote:Nag window may have no close button and it may ignore destroy and close messages so no way will be available to close it.
Well… then it would make it impossible to use TC, so the main idea of my suggestion would be spoiled.

I don't think AHK is such great a threat here. If user wants to continue using this specific beta so much that he installs (or even writes himself) a separate script, I don't think he would report to Chris about bugs in this outdated version.

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Flint,
I mean it should allow to close it manually but forbid scripted closing. E.g. draw a red circle on a form and ask to click it. Or use sort of CAPTCHA with text to be typed drawn directly to the form. :D
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

Guys, seriously? :)

Code: Select all

Warning                                 [X]
-------------------------------------------

( ! )  This is an expired beta version.
        Are you sure you want to continue?

[ YES ]   [ NO ]
Show that at startup and it's enough. It's like with shark tank - you put railing around it with warning signs to prevent accidents. And if someone climbs it and gets eaten... well, he probably wanted to get eaten. ;)
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

No not seriously, but i have no kitten and my computer is getting older from day to day, so it may be a good occasion to build up a new system after the old computer hardware is burned down.
;)
Holger