Short file names not shown

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

bramreem

Short file names not shown

Post by *bramreem »

Hello, I like TotalCommander very well, but recently I found something what looks like a bug in version 8.01. The file attribute/property ‘dos name’ (short, 8.3 name) does not work.

I have a Custom columns view with a column for the short, 8.3 file names using the syntax [=tc.dosnaam] (in the Dutch translation), or [=tc.dosname] in the English version. In version 7 this used to show the 8.3 file name. It worked even better than Windows itself! (All 8.3 names were shown while for example the [face=courier]dir[/face] command in the Windows Command Prompt gives only short names for files which have a longer name as well, not for files where the full name itself is in the 8.3 format.)

However, now this column is completely empty.

After discovering this, I also tried to change a file’s comment through the Attributes window. It was a nice discovery that I could for example write the creation date of a file to its descipt.ion comment using this window, but using the DOS name again didn’t work.

I am using the 32 bits version of TC and Windows XP with service pack 3 installed.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Confirmed. Tested using the MRT.

Bug introduced in Total Commander 8.01 release candidate 5.
Total Commander 8.01 release candidate 4 still works OK.

Perhaps related to:
HISTORY.TXT wrote:27.07.12 Release Total Commander 8.01 release candidate 5 (32/64)
24.07.12 Fixed: Make it faster to use the following internal content plugin fields: tc.fullname, tc.name, tc.extension and tc.path (by not calling FindFirstFile again) (32/64)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks, I will check it.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Tested OK using TC8.50rc3 32bit.