Diacritic characters in filename

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

vanio

Diacritic characters in filename

Post by *vanio »

I have some problem with file names with non english (diacritic) character (like ç, ñ or è)
1) if I make a folder from TC with this types of character (i.e. "español"), TC generate an "espanol" folder. Now I can enter or delete this folder (with the wrong name). But..
2) if I make the "español" folder directly from Windows, in TC I see a "espanol" folder, but I cannot acces or manipolate it.
My S.O. is Windows XP SP1
jb

Post by *jb »

Strange!? I just created an "español" and an "espanol" folder and then deleted them with TC V5.51. It works perfectly. My OS is Windows 2000 SP3.
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 01-03-2003 12:20:20 +0000 vanio wrote:

v> My S.O. is Windows XP SP1

What is you Commander version number?[/face]
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

vanio wrote:I have some problem with file names with non english (diacritic) character (like ç, ñ or è)
You need to set the system-default language for non-unicode programs in control panel - regional settings to your language, otherwise Total Commander cannot display the file names! The reason is that Total Commander
uses ANSI (1 byte) text for file names, while NT uses Unicode (2 byte text), and the conversion between the two is determined by the language settings.
The display language of NT/Win2k will NOT change when you make these changes, just the conversion.

Unicode Support is planned for a later version. Since version 5.51, you can now view, edit, and delete such files. You can also copy them, but they will have the old DOS name.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
vanio

Post by *vanio »

You need to set the system-default language for non-unicode programs in control panel - regional settings to your language
Wonderful :-) Now TC works fine! (my old setting was for russian language :oops: )
Thank you!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

BTW: http://bearfacts2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89
(I will try and update it soon.)

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:
vanio wrote:I have some problem with file names with non english (diacritic) character (like ç, ñ or è)
You need to set the system-default language for non-unicode programs in control panel - regional settings to your language, otherwise Total Commander cannot display the file names! The reason is that Total Commander
uses ANSI (1 byte) text for file names, while NT uses Unicode (2 byte text), and the conversion between the two is determined by the language settings.
The display language of NT/Win2k will NOT change when you make these changes, just the conversion.

Unicode Support is planned for a later version. Since version 5.51, you can now view, edit, and delete such files. You can also copy them, but they will have the old DOS name.

I just thought I'd pop this in here - don't know for sure if I'm talking about the same thing but here goes... Two computers both running 98SE connected across a network with both running TC v5.51. I can't transfer my Gisèle Bündchen wallpaper directory between the two but I have no problems with Lætitia Casta, Penélope Cruz or Fejérvári Judit. Any ideas why?

I expect this is a OS issue rather than one concerning TC.

DRP
CopyCats

Post by *CopyCats »

I can't transfer my Gisèle Bündchen wallpaper directory between the two but I have no problems with Lætitia Casta, Penélope Cruz or Fejérvári Judit. Any ideas why?
Gisèle is a blond.
#5050 :: Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand!
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

Gisèle is a blond.[/quote]

Ummm.... no. She's not! :D