Office 2007 files regarded as archives

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Ralph

Post by *Ralph »

Maybe Ctrl+Shift+left or right arrow key could be used to override the default behavior. Then you could decide which behavior you want in any situation.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

This issue seems to be solved with the new CtrlArrowOpenArchive=5 in TC 8.51b3 :-)

It would now be nice if the same kind of setting (CdOpenArchive) was applied to the cd command. As it is now a command like cd c:\mydir\myfile.docx or cd c:\mydir\myfile.zip will open the docx or the zip file as an archive in stead of just opening mydir and placing the cursor on myfile.docx or myfile.zip. This would correspond to the /A command line parameter.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
oshizelly

Post by *oshizelly »

2petermad
This issue seems to be solved with the new CtrlArrowOpenArchive=5 in TC 8.51b3
I don't understand the meaning of the value "5". Other fore values (1-4) of this key is explained in the changelog (http://www.ghisler.com/history851.txt) but "5" is not. Do I miss anything?
It would now be nice if the same kind of setting (CdOpenArchive) was applied to the cd command. As it is now a command like cd c:\mydir\myfile.docx or cd c:\mydir\myfile.zip will open the docx or the zip file as an archive in stead of just opening mydir and placing the cursor on myfile.docx or myfile.zip
Support!! (Including the breadcrumb path above the filelist).
Actually just this thing was the main wish of users at the previous pages of this topic.
oshizelly

Post by *oshizelly »

2ghisler(Author)

It seems, that my original complain (see here http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=23140&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=5 ) has not been resolved even with the last TC 8.51b3.
My (and some other users') request was to get the option to treat some archives, as say MS Office documents formats .docX and .xlsX, different way compared with other (regular) archives.

In other words, there could be a some key/directive in wincmd.ini with exceptions list of file types (extensions), which should be handled as ordinary (non-archive) files in spite of the fact, that they are regular ZIP-archives by their structure and signature.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

oshizelly wrote:I don't understand the meaning of the value "5".
Value 5 simply means 1+4 (value 4 should be added), i.e. TC will both not enter archive on Ctrl+Arrow and put focus onto it.

With default value CtrlArrowOpenArchive=5 TC doesn't enter DOCX/XLSX:
1. On Ctrl+Arrow,
2. On Enter,
3. On Enter on LNK,
4. When I paste D:\1.docx to command line.

In fact, some problems are still exist, TC enters DOCX/XLSX:
A. On Ctrl+Arrow on LNK,
B. On cd D:\1.docx,
C. When path to document passed as parameter (however option /A disables entering),
D. When I paste D:\1.docx to path bar,
E. Have I missed something?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, this option CtrlArrowOpenArchive only handles Ctrl+Arrow on the archive itself, no other cases.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
oshizelly

Post by *oshizelly »

2ghisler(Author)
Yes, this option CtrlArrowOpenArchive only handles Ctrl+Arrow on the archive itself, no other cases.
IMHO this improvement is quite pointless, sorry. As for me (and I suppose, that the most users as well) I have never had any problems with handing MS Office documents by Ctrl+Left/Right aroow. This issue is rather marginal.

The real headache are other cases, as it described in MVV last pots (http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=23140&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=49) - and none of them is not fixed yet.
Last edited by oshizelly on 2014-04-04, 16:45 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

oshizelly wrote:2ghisler(Author)
IMHO this improvement is quite pointless, sorry. As for me (and I suppose, that the most users as well) I have never had any problems with handing MS Office documents by Ctrl+Left/Right aroow. This issue is rather marginal.

The real headache is other cases, as it described in b]MVV[/b] last pots (http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=23140&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=49) - and none of them is not fixed yet.
I strongly disagree, for me it was a problem.
Using search tool results from Everything / FSE the cursor was positioned inside of the "Archive" and not on the file name itself.
So its not pointless just because you don't need it personaly.
oshizelly

Post by *oshizelly »

2Horst.Epp
Using search tool results from Everything / FSE the cursor was positioned inside of the "Archive" and not on the file name itself
I have to suggest, that this improvement is some unwilling positive side-effect. If you read the author's remark 2 posts above yours http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=23140&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=50, you'll see, that this new option "CtrlArrowOpenArchive only handles Ctrl+Arrow on the archive itself, no other cases".
So its not pointless just because you don't need it personally.
Not me personally. I've just pointed to MVV's post with the same opinion. I suppose, that many users share it too.
Well, I don't mean, that this improvement is not good. What I tried to do was to draw Christian's attention to the fact. that it is far not enough to resolve these issues, which we have discussed in this topic, so we hope for further steps in the same direction.
9kvD38n6

+1000

Post by *9kvD38n6 »

I'd like to chime in here and advocate that a clean and comprehensive solution should be found for the new Office file / archive issue. It is true that this nuisance has become more and more troublesome with more and more office files existing in the .xml format.

IIRC, the problem occurs in the following contexts:

1. Pressing Ctrl-Left/-Right on a .Officex file
2. Pressing Ctrl-Left/-Right on a .lnk file pointing to a .Officex file
3. Entering a path ending with a .Officex file in either of these situations:
a. in the TC command line
b. in the breadcrumb bar
c. when calling TOTALCMD.EXE from Windows to set a new folder / focus for viewing with a path ending in a .Officex file as parameter
d. when setting the path with sendcopydata

Feel free to quote and edit the list if I've missed anything.

From what I've read in this thread, Mr Ghisler has so far offered a solution only for #1 in 8.51 RC2/3.

Of course, there should be a .ini value to switch between this new way of handling .OfficeX files and the way it was before the 8.51 release candidates. From my point of view the new way (i.e. never entering those "archives" except with the Ctrl-PgDn keyboard shortcut) should be the default behaviour as it's what most novice users will want, but I'll be happy either way as long as I can avoid having to press Ctrl-PgUp all the time to move back up from inside the Office "archive" where I didn't want to go in the first place.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

29kvD38n6

Very well put, and I fully agree with you.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
oshizelly

Post by *oshizelly »

29kvD38n6
2petermad
Thanks, it is what I just tried to tell in my previous post, but far not so clearly as 9kvD38n6 conclusion.

Are you agree with me, that the best solution would be to give a user the option to set, that TC should not treat Office 2007 files .X-files as archives at all? With the only exception, when a user directly orders to open such file as a ZIP-archive by pressing Ctrl+PgOn.
9kvD38n6

Post by *9kvD38n6 »

Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind also.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

TC should not treat Office 2007 files .X-files as archives at all? With the only exception, when a user directly orders to open such file as a ZIP-archive by pressing Ctrl+PgOn.
Yes, thats what I agree on.
License #524 (1994)
9kvD38n6

Bump

Post by *9kvD38n6 »

I'm just bumping this to see if - since the issue has been recognized and given some attention with the addition of the "CtrlArrowOpenArchive" .ini option - it would be possible to provide a comprehensive fix for all contexts as outlined above?

Thanks