[WFX] Android ADB 8.8

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

neofit

Post by *neofit »

Hi,

Is there a page with some detailed "how to" instructions? All I find is lists of features and contradictory information.

The only links I have found are:

* On the first post here we have Website & FAQ which only lists some features and is in the end useless for setting it up. Not clicking on the "Donate" link just now ;).

* After installing the plugin, in the setting window there is another link: Official Web. Wow, a "Requirements" section with 3 lines in the end, now we're getting somewhere ;). Apparently we need to download something from Google Play onto the device, good info and well hidden.

But then it says "a rooted device with the "WiFi ADB" app downloaded from Google Play", while in the list of features we have "Rooted, semi-rooted and non-rooted devices". Which is it?

Also, the requirements list "WiFi ADB", but the line above that says "Device connected to USB". So, USB or Wifi? Or only USB but it needs some drivers from the wifi package?

The devices I'd like to connect together are:

1. PC with USB, Wifi and BT 4.0 dongle
2. Asus TF101 ICS tablet with USB, Wifi and BT
3. Samsung S4 mini ICS phone with USB, Wifi and BT

They are all connected to my internet router through wifi, so technically they are on a home LAN each with its own IP address.

It would be nice to know the connectivity options that the plugin can work with.

1. Just through IP with the current home lan? When I go to "\\Network\ADB\Connect to Device" I am asked for an IP:port, but I can't find any info on the port it uses

2. Wifi direct?

3. Wifi hotspot?

4. Bluetooth tethering?

5. USB cable only? (the one I am trying to avoid)

Thanks in advance.
beb

Post by *beb »

2neofit
"So, USB or Wifi?"
Both, and USB, and WiFi.
Android ADB TC plugin Requirements:
- Enabled "Android debugging" on your device
- Device connected to USB with proper drivers (an ADB device must be listed in Windows Devices)
- WiFi ADB (a rooted device with the "WiFi ADB" app downloaded from Google Play)
1. Cable
- Just connect your android device and PC using USB cable
- Then "\\Network\ADB\YoURDeVIceSeRIaL" entry will appear
- Use "\\Network\ADB\YoURDeVIceSeRIaL" entry to access your android device via cable

2. Air
- Install WiFi ADB from Google Play on your android device
- Run WiFi ADB app on your phone and turn on WiFi ADB Debug Over Air
- Check your phone IP:port on WiFi ADB app main screen (screenshot)
- Go "\\Network\ADB\Connect to Device" and input your phone IP:port you've got in the step above
- Then "\\Network\ADB\your_phone_IP:port" entry will appear
- Use "\\Network\ADB\your_phone_IP:port" entry to access your android device via air

3. Also you able to enter the same android device using cable and WiFi simultaneously :)
(screenshot)
inforte43

Post by *inforte43 »

inforte43 wrote:Hi,

The main developer of this plug-in reads this topic?

I ask, because I like to know if hi agrees my suggestion about a custom command to start the shell: http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=280182#280182

Please, this option (easy to implement) will be very useful!
Hi,

I like to repeat this request! I feel is "trivial" to add the option to a custom shell client. The CMD command is very limited.

Please, add it! And thank you in advance for this awasome plugin. :)
AlexanderOstuni

Re: unable to modify external sd card via adb

Post by *AlexanderOstuni »

hawkeye wrote:
EDIT: SOLVED
After actually reading all the >30 pages of this thread and not just using the forum search, i found some more details and a partial solution.
jakubklos stated that the problem is within the stock kernel (so does the "linked" chainfire post). So installing a custom rom may fix that issue.
Besides, if the device is rooted, installing Busybox enables ADB-plugin to overcome these limitations by using su:

Code: Select all

2013-09-14 17:19:01 [096C] ADB Write: shell:busybox mkdir -p "/storage/extSdCard/test"
2013-09-14 17:19:01 [096C] ADB Read: OKAY
2013-09-14 17:19:01 [096C] ADB Read Data: mkdir: can't create directory '/storage/extSdCard/test': Permission denied
2013-09-14 17:19:01 [096C] Connecting to ADB server...
2013-09-14 17:19:01 [096C] Connected
2013-09-14 17:19:01 [096C] ADB Write: host:transport:00194fcf590f9e
2013-09-14 17:19:01 [096C] ADB Write: shell:su -c "busybox mkdir -p "/storage/extSdCard/test""
Cheers.
Hi
can someone please tell a complete Android noob what to do to use this fantastic plugin to transfer data to the external card in my galaxy s3 ?
The Phone is rootet and that busybox is installed. But it does not work. What exactly do I have to do more ?

Cheers
Alex
AlexanderOstuni

Post by *AlexanderOstuni »

Hi,

ok solved it by myself. Installing busybox in the playstore was not enough, I had to install it locally on the phone.
Now it works.
inforte43

Post by *inforte43 »

inforte43 wrote:
inforte43 wrote:
inforte43 wrote:Simple question: It's possible to launch PuTTY (or another program) when you select ".shell"?
No responses? Come on!
Hi,

I found the PuTTYTray fork of PuTTY that includes ADB support:
https://puttytray.goeswhere.com/

You can start a session with the ADB with this command line:

PuttyTray.exe -adb -P 5037 @-a
I suggest to add an option in the plugin to start alternative programs when you select ".shell"

Please, developer, can you add this?
Thank you!
I'm afraid that the main developer don't respond to incorporate this... a very simple change: support custom command to open a session.

Anyone knows how to contact with the author of this pulgin?
_artem_

Post by *_artem_ »

plugin doesn't work since windows 8.1 august update...
I can't go into ADB in network. it doesn't show any serial number... just nothing happens when you doupble click (or press Enter) on ADB in network.

adb itself works just fine. fardroid - adb plugin for FAR works just fine too (since couple of days, after new batch of updates for windows were released).

problem is that since august update for windows 8.1 all android devices are displayed in device manager as ACER Device instead of Android device as to did before 8.1 august update. couple of days ago there were 700 mb updates for 8.1 and since then FAR's plugin fardroid started to work again. (it didn't just like ADB plugin for Total Commander) but now FAR can access android devices however Total Commander can't.

p.s. deleting all the drivers, restarting and forcing it to be configured as Android Device instead of ACER Device also doesn't help
buttie

Post by *buttie »

Plugin works with Win 8.1 without a problem, but device has to be recognized as ADB interface. Please follow this short giude I wrote on xda and check if it works: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=49923628&postcount=1626

(Guide is for HTC One m7, but it's compatible with every Android device.)
_artem_

Post by *_artem_ »

buttie wrote:Plugin works with Win 8.1 without a problem, but device has to be recognized as ADB interface. Please follow this short giude I wrote on xda and check if it works:

(Guide is for HTC One m7, but it's compatible with every Android device.)
select Android ADB Interface - that's what I always do.

bit. ly/ 1AGpNwP
remove spaces... sorry
somehow it may not play at all, so download it's 6 mb. there you can see that FAR plugins (fardroid - to access android device via adb, and portadev plugin - to access portable device as local storage) are working. until windows update of yesterday (or 2 days ago) it didn't work just like ADB for Total Commander. but now FAR plugins do work but Total commander doesn't

windows version:

BuildLabEx: 9600.17238.amd64fre.winblue_gdr.140723-2018

regedit -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\
tobbbie

How can I write to \system ?

Post by *tobbbie »

Recently I wanted to rename a bunch of files, but it does not work on RO mounted partition. Is there an option (I failed to find) that remounts R/W for such actions? If not, how can I achieve this with TC + ADBplugin?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Try mounting the partition as R/W with a software on the Android device, e.g. Root Explorer or Total Commander for Android.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
tobbbie

Post by *tobbbie »

...obviously I can avoid the problem if the file system is mounted as RW - but default is RO for /system - which is perfectly ok. Like the TC on Android, I had hoped that also ADBplugin can do an instant remount as R/W and revert back to RO after action - simply without acting additionally on the device itself.
EXELBONSAI

now unlock your device and confirm the backup operation

Post by *EXELBONSAI »

Huawei p7 rooted mini
Made contact via adb. Move files apps install everything ok.
Wants to make a backup following error message appears briefly blinded a
"now unlock your device and confirm the backup operation" then "backup successful" but are 0byte files (with other phones eg the y201Pro it works)
German would be an answer to my very dear .. thank you
"now unlock your device and confirm the backup operation" danach "backup successful" sind aber 0byte Dateien (mit anderen Handys z.b das y201Pro funktioniert es)
eine antwort auf deutsch wäre mir auch sehr lieb.. vielen Dank
tobbbie

Post by *tobbbie »

tobbbie wrote:...obviously I can avoid the problem if the file system is mounted as RW - but default is RO for /system - which is perfectly ok. Like the TC on Android, I had hoped that also ADBplugin can do an instant remount as R/W and revert back to RO after action - simply without acting additionally on the device itself.
I found out how it works - actually by tracking why it worked on my Xperia Ray, but not my S4mini. The solution is the use (and activation) of chainfire's "adbd insecure" - so get that if you need write to system via adb.
tobbbie

Re: now unlock your device and confirm the backup operation

Post by *tobbbie »

EXELBONSAI wrote:Huawei p7 rooted mini
Made contact via adb. Move files apps install everything ok.
Wants to make a backup following error message appears briefly blinded a
"now unlock your device and confirm the backup operation" then "backup successful" but are 0byte files (with other phones eg the y201Pro it works)
German would be an answer to my very dear .. thank you
"now unlock your device and confirm the backup operation" danach "backup successful" sind aber 0byte Dateien (mit anderen Handys z.b das y201Pro funktioniert es)
eine antwort auf deutsch wäre mir auch sehr lieb.. vielen Dank
Some vendors remove the function to create an ADB backup. You do not get the confirmation prompt on the device, but instead just get the 0 byte file. This happened to me on my Xperia Ray as well - nothing could be done to get it working.
Mind that when your device is rooted (and your bootloader is unlocked), that a partition backup is much more powerful as it backs up the complete partitions while in a custom recovery. Seek for a custom recovery build for your device and install this.