adding 32bit plugin in portable 64bit=wlc not found error

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

magz

adding 32bit plugin in portable 64bit=wlc not found error

Post by *magz »

I'm running Total Commander as portable, and I like to install both the 32bit and 64bit plugins when possible. If there is only a 32 bit version of the plugin I fancy available then I install that, and sometimes I forget that I am in 64bit mode, so the error message telling me it wont work in 64bit is handy, but a file not found error also occurs for me, as I have replaced the plugin path with the TC environment variable in the wincmd.ini (pluginbasedir=%COMMANDER_PATH%\plugins) This file not found message only occurs when adding 32bit only packer plugins for me, the filesystem, lister and content plugins all seem to handle the TC's environment variable as expected. Installing the packer plugin when running TC in 32 bit works fine and produces no file not found messages.

To reproduce this error:
Download a 32bit only packer plugin, like ICL v1.4.1.1 at http://ghisler.com/plugins.htm
Direct link: https://plugins.ghisler.com/plugins/iclread.zip
Total Commander must be installed with the wincmd.ini in the program folder, and 2 changes made to the wincmd.ini under [configuration]:
add this line:
UseIniInProgramDir=7
change the line with pluginbasedir=[your install path]\plugins
to:
pluginbasedir=%COMMANDER_PATH%\plugins
It makes sense to change install dir under [configuration] as well, but not needed to reproduce the error I think:
InstallDir=%COMMANDER_PATH%
Then install the ICL plugin by entering the iclread.zip archive while running TOTALCMD64.EXE (or any other 32bit only archive plugin)
An error message saying Iclread.wcx not found should then pop up.
One has to manually change the path to a fixed path for the 32 bit only error message to occur.
I encountered this minor and rather insignificant bug when updating my plugins in Total Commander v8.52a, there is no rush for me for it to be fixed.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, magz.

I do not think this qualifies as a bug.
Launch Total Commander 8.52.a 32-bit and install the 32-bit-only plugin. Should work without problem. Of course, ICL will not work inside Total Commander 8.52a 64-bit nonetheless, only inside Total Commander 8.52a 32-bit.
Total Commander 8.52a 64-bit will expect a DLL named Iclread.wcx64 and look for it, but this file does not exist. Hence the error message.

Cheers,
Karl
magz

Post by *magz »

karlchen wrote:Hi, magz.

I do not think this qualifies as a bug.
Launch Total Commander 8.52.a 32-bit and install the 32-bit-only plugin. Should work without problem. Of course, ICL will not work inside Total Commander 8.52a 64-bit nonetheless, only inside Total Commander 8.52a 32-bit.
Total Commander 8.52a 64-bit will expect a DLL named Iclread.wcx64 and look for it, but this file does not exist. Hence the error message.

Cheers,
Karl
Hello Karlchen
Yeah it's easy to do it the proper way, and this is no big issue for me. :)
Although if I had it my way TC would display the error warning about it being a 32bit only plugin, but configure it for usage within Total Commander 32bit anyway, without forcing me to add it with the 32 bit TC. But that is going a bit off topic by me I guess, as that is more of a feature request, but the strange thing now is when adding the ICLread 32bit plugin with Totalcmd64.exe in my regular TC installation I get no warning about it being 32 bit only plugin, and no file not found warning, even after removing this line:
icl=%COMMANDER_PATH%\plugins\WCX\ICLRead\ICLRead.wcx
from [PackerPlugins]
But even under Totalcmd64.exe it gets added. (I have no idea why, but I kind of like that, but this time I felt like 1 error message short)
It is produced in the clean TC installation I made to test this though, also when it's already installed.
As it's only the case with wcx 32 bit plugins I think it is a bug. If it is a feature, then I find it to be a bit confusing and inconsistent with how TC behaves for the other plugin types.
TC does not produce the file not found message for wdx, wfs or wlx plugins ran under the same circumstances, but goes directly to the warning of it being a 32 bit only plugin.
And the file not found message is not a regular TC error message, it also refers to the 32bit file according to the message itself, so to me it does not seem like it's TC trying to locate the 64bit wcx, I think it's simply some check involved with wcx plugins where the %COMMANDER_PATH% environment variable does not get translated to a regular path, here is the file not found error message:
Image: http://picload.org/image/pdallia/iclread-wcx.jpg