TC8.01, Acrobat Reader DC - can't open pdf files from TC

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Venko

TC8.01, Acrobat Reader DC - can't open pdf files from TC

Post by *Venko »

First, please be excused for my poor English!

I work with Windows10 and administrative rights. When I came across the problem, I started and Task Manager to observe what is happening.
TC is installed in "Program files".
PDF files are associated with Acrobat Reader DC as default.

1. When I double click on pdf file in File Explorer (i.e. Windows Explorer), the file is opened. Task Manager shows that is started the application "Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" and tree background processes "Adobe RdrCEF".
Now if double clik on pdf file in TC, the file also is opened and Task Manager shows that is launched another process "Adobe RdrCEF".
If I close both pdf files, running processes and application are also closed.

2. If the application Acrobat Reader DC is not runing and I double click on the pdf file, the file does not open and Task Manager shows that are started only two background processes "Adobe Acrobat Reader DC".
Now if I double click on another pdf file in TC, nothing happens, but if I double click on pdf file in File Explorer, Task Manager shows that is launched another two background processes "Adobe Acrobat Reader DC". If I again double click on another pdf file in File Explorer, Task Manager shows that is launched another two background processes "Adobe Acrobat Reader DC". And so on.
Since no application is started, these background processes can be terminated only by Task Manager.
After 5-10 min. background process, launched from File Explorer show window "Fatal Error" with message "Acrobat failed to connect to a DDE server" and when close window, process is closed. Background processes launched from TC can be terminated only by Task Manager.

3. If I click in TC on pdf file with right mouse button and select "Open with/Adobe Acrobat Reader DC", happens the same as in point 2.

4. If I click in TC on pdf file with right mouse button and select "Open with/Choose another App/" and then select "Adobe Acrobat Reader DC", the file is opened normally.
Now if I double click on another pdf file in TC (and in File Explorer), it also is opened normally.
Although on opening of the file in this way checkbox "Always use this app to open .pdf files" is marked, after closed once the app, the situation remains the same as in point 2.

Any ideas to solve this problem?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Hi Venko,
Put the cursor on a PDF file, click Files - Associate With... - Edit type... and if [x] DDE is checked, try unchecking it.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Venko

Post by *Venko »

No Hacker, DDE isn't checked.
After your post I try and with checked DDE, but no change and again left it unchecked.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC8.01, Acrobat Reader DC - can't open pdf files from TC

Post by *HolgerK »

Venko wrote:I work with Windows10 and administrative rights.
To be precise: Your account has administrative rights but UAC is active and you are running TC elevated (as administrator)?
Does it work if you start TC with normal/restricted user right (non elevated)?

Regards
Holger
Venko

Post by *Venko »

Yes Holger! That's right! I run TC as administrator.
And it's strange, but when I start TC with normal user rights, no problem with opening PDF files. Moreover disappear annoying UAC window, appearing at each start, with which I had reconciled. But now there are problems such as for example remembering of the last open folders. This is obviously due to remembering of the .ini files in the folder "Windows". I think it was somewhere option to indicate where these files are stored, which would solve this problem, but now I can not find it.

Thanks for the help!
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

You can use the tool inireloc (direct download) to specify where TC should search the INI-Files.
Recommended place is (o) Documents and Settings (user specific application data)
sea also: http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/Ini-settings#Location

Regards
Holger
Venko

Post by *Venko »

Thanks Holger!
Thanks hor Help!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I run TC as administrator.
And it's strange, but when I start TC with normal user rights, no problem with opening PDF files.
The problem is that Acrobat Reader runs hidden in the background all the time, so it can open documents more quickly. When you launch a PDF, it seems to pass the name to the running copy via Windows messages. This is blocked by Windows between normal and elevated programs.

You can use a Lister plugin with F3 to view PDF files when TC runs elevated. Try sLister:
http://totalcmd.net/plugring/slister.html
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Venko

Post by *Venko »

Thanks for the explanation Glister. Yes, it is logical.
But since this effect may occur and with other applications, I prefer the solution whereat I run TC in normal user mode, and .ini files of TC I keep in a folder in "users". Obviously the goal of Windows latterly is the same.

Thanks again everyone!
lezerogan2

skip elevated

Post by *lezerogan2 »

I prefer to run Totcmd as elevated. Slister is nice but not always enough.
I want to bypass this Acrobat Reader problem by running some script that will run the Acrobat Reader with the pdf document name as parameter.
Problem is, because Totcmd is elevated, windows 10 run the script also as elevated.

Does anybody know if there is a way to run a script specifically as not-elevated?
Maybe Some property or some command (anti elevate.exe), or by task scheduler using some intentional log event?
lezerogan2

found a solution

Post by *lezerogan2 »

I found some solution
I associated the extension pdf to a batch file which contains one line

runas /trustlevel:0x20000 "c:\Progra~2\Adobe\Acroba~1\Reader\AcroRd32.exe %1"
jb

Re: found a solution

Post by *jb »

lezerogan2 wrote:I found some solution

The solution of lezerogan2 helped me to find an improved version with the following benefits:
1. Support for file paths with spaces.
2. No indirection via batch file. Total Commander invokes runas.exe directly.

Just add an internal association for *.pdf files with the following open-command:

Code: Select all

runas /trustlevel:0x20000 "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe "%1""
Note that the inner double quotes need to be escaped (").
Denis.S

Re: found a solution

Post by *Denis.S »

jb wrote: 2017-08-07, 14:40 UTC
lezerogan2 wrote:I found some solution

The solution of lezerogan2 helped me to find an improved version with the following benefits:
1. Support for file paths with spaces.
2. No indirection via batch file. Total Commander invokes runas.exe directly.

Just add an internal association for *.pdf files with the following open-command:

runas /trustlevel:0x20000 "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe "%1""
Note that the inner double quotes need to be escaped (").
This does not work if the path to a document contains whitespaces.
And it is not possible to escape them, because %1 already uses quotes.
It causes runas syntax error

This is the result comand and it does not work:

runas /trustlevel:0x20000 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader 2017\Reader\AcroRd32.exe \""C:\path to my pdf with spaces.pdf"\""
But this works in command line:

runas /trustlevel:0x20000 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader 2017\Reader\AcroRd32.exe \"C:\path to my pdf with spaces.pdf\""
How to supress adding additional quotes by %1 ??
Denis.S

Re: TC8.01, Acrobat Reader DC - can't open pdf files from TC

Post by *Denis.S »

This works fine:
runas /trustlevel:0x20000 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader 2017\Reader\AcroRd32.exe \"%1\""