Protest against planned European Software patents

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

PetyaMaster

No more news for half a year ?

Post by *PetyaMaster »

Hello Everyone,

What's the latest news on this topic ? It's 8 months since the last post.
Besides software patents, there's another thing in the scene which is also worth worrying about :
http://www.againsttcpa.com
I've just recently noticed on ASUS's website, that they list TCP as a "feature" on their product pages for some boards. My half year old GigaByte board has a place for "TPM" on the circuitry, but the IC is missing. It's place is cca. 30x8 mm, 18 pins.
GIVE THESE POPULARITY !

Cheers,

Peter
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

I don't know if this is new, found it on the OGG page of the Free Software Foundation :
http://petition.stopsoftwarepatents.eu/
dindog

Post by *dindog »

different but also weird situation in China currently... in a maner of speaking, it got to the opposite way too far... but the consequence is almost the same:

There are nothing really under protect here, especially shareware. Big company make over-similiar product, push it to user (like the biggest IM company own over 0.5 bililion user), drive those minor company away from market... it is totally ungraceful stealing, yet nothing to protect these minor company's idea nor product.

Sad story all over the world about unfair things take place.
peterr77

Post by *peterr77 »

Seems like the Lawyers and Politicians are lining their pockets again. Probably also some big fish who have nothing better to do with their money.

Maybe one day the small guys will have to band together and register their software on Mars or a special underground run by hackers banned from Earth because nobody can be creative here any more
ryanharris

Post by *ryanharris »

peterr77 wrote:Seems like the Lawyers and Politicians are lining their pockets again. Probably also some big fish who have nothing better to do with their money.

Maybe one day the small guys will have to band together and register their software on Mars or a special underground run by hackers banned from Earth because nobody can be creative here any more
yea well said peter, the creativity is depleting.
Dokter123

Puhlease more upgrades

Post by *Dokter123 »

I've been a registered user of Total Commander for quite a few years and versions.I understand some of the difficulties you're having with patent laws in Switzerland - actually, no I don't, I'm lying - I simply understand that you are having some.

I don't know if its a lack of current upgrades causing this to happen...but I've found that TC is starting to crash 2-3 times/day.

Now you have no idea how wired I am to this piece of software. I do a *lot* of file management and I'd be very inconvenienced absent my TC. I got a Mac book Pro (don't ask) and the first thing I noticed was the inability to locate a key stroke that would allow me to return my cursor to the line's end or beginning. Tres hassle. Therefore the very first piece of software I located for that Mac OS was a TC substitute - Mu Commander - which I would definitely *not* use now.

But a new version of TC for Windows. I'd pay twice the going price and still be happy. anything in the pipes?
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Puhlease more upgrades

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Dokter123 wrote:I've been a registered user of Total Commander for quite a few years and versions.I understand some of the difficulties you're having with patent laws in Switzerland - actually, no I don't, I'm lying - I simply understand that you are having some.

I don't know if its a lack of current upgrades causing this to happen...but I've found that TC is starting to crash 2-3 times/day.

Now you have no idea how wired I am to this piece of software. I do a *lot* of file management and I'd be very inconvenienced absent my TC. I got a Mac book Pro (don't ask) and the first thing I noticed was the inability to locate a key stroke that would allow me to return my cursor to the line's end or beginning. Tres hassle. Therefore the very first piece of software I located for that Mac OS was a TC substitute - Mu Commander - which I would definitely *not* use now.

But a new version of TC for Windows. I'd pay twice the going price and still be happy. anything in the pipes?
What a strange Idea to post in this topic :cry:
If you have crashes please provide useful information for the Author
and not total unrelated infos about your mac OS usage.
nemadeka

Post by *nemadeka »

Patents is the thing that plagues manufacturers, developers, every other creative folk. The system is entirely in favor of PATENT TROLLS.
https:// www.  youtube.com/ watch?v=3bxcc3SM_KA
It's like Soviet Government, I'm afraid. You can only outlive it, or emigrate. You cannot fight it. =(