A Better quick search for TAGS in next Total Commander 9

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2sticazzi
Did you try "Quick Search extended" which I mentioned above?
sticazzi

Post by *sticazzi »

Lefteous wrote:2sticazzi
Yep: It didn't worked at all (as I expected).
I hoped for a native solution from Mr.Ghisler for the upcoming TC9: no luck, I give up, I'am already switching to xplorer2.

Thanks Lefteous for your interest.
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

sticazzi wrote:
Lefteous wrote:2sticazzi
Yep: It didn't worked at all (as I expected).
What is the problem? Can you give some details please?
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I have to agree with sticazzi in one point. Extended quicksearch capabilities are really something that should be included in TC by default. So something like "Quick Search extended" should be included in TC by default.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

I try to configure QuickSearch eXtended 2.2.3
for the ShellDetails WDX64 plugin 1.25.

The configurator gives an error
---------------------------
tcmatch64.exe
Error in ContentGetSupportedField:
C:\Tools\Wincmd\PLUGINS\ShellDetails\ShellDetails.wdx64
Errorlevel: -4
Last Error: 126

It works for other wdx64 plugins I tried.
Axis

Post by *Axis »

Any news on this matter in the upcoming TC9 (tc9 native quick searching in tag/descript.ion with multiple words, e.g. "2010" AND "Mouse" AND "Video", etc.)?

Thank you.
Phred

And further -

Post by *Phred »

In the light of Author Ghisler's reply (that indexing of tags and the management of them in circumstances of copy/move affects TC's speed), sticazzi, is your point of view influenced in any way?

Can you describe how the other programs you cite work, in this respect, with emphasis on the performance effect that Author Ghisler refers to?
Do they go far beyond the indexing that Windows itself provides?

[There are word descriptor tags often stored inside files, photos, say, and there are tags that file managers like X/Z-Tree use to tag selected files. I suspect you're referring to the former.][Yes, I feel quite certain..]
Regards, PhredE
Licence holder since 1999
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.
patxiku

Tags using Comments

Post by *patxiku »

As it is said in this tread the internal alternative for Tags of TC are COMMENTS and there can be placed Tags by using Tag1; Tag2…. It is not so simple to get a good performance of them. I will explain how to use them.

General use:
A simple comment is created by pressing Ctrl-Z on a file in a TC’s panel. A new window is opened to edit it and it will be saved by pressing F2. Add Tags there.
All the comments of a folder are saved in a file called descript.ion.
To see the comments in the files panel, it can be created a Customized column View (Shift-F1) and include a column with the comments of each file using plugins (e.g. tc.comment).
The comments are copied or moved together with files when they are copied or moved using TC. (To activate this option: Configuration> Options> Operation> Copy comments with files).

Tags Search using comments:
Method 1: You can compose Tags searches in Search's Plugins tab and there add tc plugin, comment property and the desired Tag in value. Once search is done, it can be used “Feed to listbox” button for getting in the active panel the files that contain those Tags.
Method 2: It is possible to use the Quick Search (Ctrl-S) with tags in comments if it is installed the wonderful Samuel's utility QuickSeach eXtended in combination with a wdx plugin like File Descriptions. If this method is used together with the Branch view (Ctrl-B) to see all the files of a folder and its subfolders, they can be obtained quite satisfactory results.

Tags Edition through comments.
Individual edition is very simple as said before, pressing the mentioned Ctrl-Z.
It is possible to put simple comments to several files simultaneously using Atributes Changie in File menu. With the option “Change attributes with plugin” checked and “More attributes" button they can be changed comments. Add tc.comment, and the desired comment in value. The disadvantage is that it replaces all the preexisting comments, and they cannot be added tags to previous comments. Althougt, they can be erased already registered ones.
Then the solution in a specific folder is edit directly the descript.ion file with a pure text editor like Notepad. (Descript.ion is a hidden file, perhaps it cannot be seen if Show hidden files isn't activated in Configuration > Display).
More complex Multiple file comments still are not possible in TC. I’m developing an Autohotkey script for making this possible, but it could be very useful if Mr. Ghisler would add it to next version. It could be like the very useful MultiRename Tool.
Axis

Re: Tags using Comments

Post by *Axis »

patxiku wrote:I will explain how to use them.
Really a great post! Thanks so much patxiku :)
sorcar

Retaining exiting comment and adding new text

Post by *sorcar »

The disadvantage is that it replaces all the preexisting comments, and they cannot be added tags to previous comments.
You can retain pre-existing text by with this in the "Value" field:

Code: Select all

[=tc.comment] "additional text"
The retains the previous comment and adds "additional text".
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

QuickSearch eXtended 2.2.4 / FileDiz - File Descriptions

Post by *tuska »

I've also used the search as described here: "Tags Search using comments - Method 2" ...
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=324351&sid=ccbf710fe50e5de5a63a6c72360c11f0#324351
together with "QuickSearch-eXtended". Basically I like this "extended function" very much.

I unfortunately noticed that after entering a comment this is not found immediately after a subsequent search in "QuickSearch-eXtended",
but only after close/restart of TC.

A similar effect is that after deleting a comment, it is still found in "QuickSearch-eXtended" - but in the descript.ion file
no longer exists => first close/restart of TC brings the updated correct search result.

Reread Source <Ctrl + R> does not help here. The comments are stored / deleted correctly in the descript.ion.

Does anyone know how to get an immediate update in "QuickSearch-eXtended" so that a correct search result for comments is displayed immediately?
("Simple search" is set in "QuickSearch-eXtended").

TC 9.0a - 64 bit, Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1607 (Build 14393.693) | QuickSearch eXtended 2.2.4
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:
Since Windows version 10 Pro x64 version 1607 (Build 14393.953) -15/03/2017- I have the impression that the behavior has changed as follows:
A) TC comments created can be found IMMEDIATELY with "QuickSearch eXtended" under using the plugin "File Descriptions = FileDiz".
B) Deletions of TC comments are still not immediately be considered in "QuickSearch eXtended" using the plugin "File Descriptions / FileDiz".
Last edited by tuska on 2017-03-15, 17:33 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

On further tests I found out the following:
When a comment is entered or deleted in TC and not found immediately afterwards in "QuickSearch eXtended" the search-result
can be updated manually by clicking on one of the following buttons of "QuickSearch eXtended":

1) Match only at file / word start
2) Check uppercase / lowercase
3) Invert the result
4) Simple search

I have asked the author of "QuickSearch eXtended" to look into the matter:
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=326365#326365
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

The author of "QuickSearch eXtended" has given an explanation for this behaviour
viewtopic.php?p=327322#327322
and a solution
viewtopic.php?p=327323#327323

Therfore I have changed the value wdx_cache=1000 in file tcmatch.ini to this value: wdx_cache=0
(the value wdx_cache=-1 is also possible).
An immediately search-result with "QuickSearch eXtended" can be achieved with this value.

Now everything is fine for me.